Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Battle of the Mentors

Nothing amuses me more than seeing one of my own mentors go up against one of their own former mentors. For me, it's like watching an all out sparring match, but this was not just any sparring match. This was the battle of the intellectuals and the Gods were rumbling in the heavens! You could hear them! And they too wanted in on what was going on because there was such an amazing fog present that night!

Last Thursday I did a two hour talk for one of Lisa's classes at Montclair State University. As you know, especially those who keep up with this blog, Professor Lisa Sargese, professor of religion and psychology, mentors me in my mental training and is one of my most dearest friends. I fell in love with her when I met her in 2008, when I was a student in her class. She captivated the classroom and I noticed I was dealing with a master educator.

Back then she was on this high of motivational speaking and lost 140 pounds and was just loving life! Then shortly after life threw her a few bumps and bruises and then Lisa found herself in a wheelchair for a few years and damaged knees.

Like my experience with my school, there were MANY people who told Lisa that she would never be able to walk again. even after she got both knee replacements, she was told by so many that she'd never walk again. And one of those people who told her that was a mentor of hers, now former. I can only imagine the hurt to hear something like that come from someone you looked up to for so long and be put down or found lack of faith from. Well I have heard so many stories about this mentor of hers, not all bad, a lot of good things too. After all, he IS a brilliant scholar and a magnificent mind. I've heard a lot about him from her friends and other colleagues as well. I also understand what a role he played in the "making of Lisa" in her life.

Well after my talk in her class, I joined her for a department lecture on Pragmatism and Cosmopolitanism (don't ask me what the hell it was about! Interesting, yes, however I wanted to stick needles in my eyes). HOWEVER, THE former mentor would be in attendance. This was HUGE for me. A MAJOR character in the life of Lisa. After this interesting talk, which it was don't get me wrong, just very dense in my opinion, there was a reception held at his house for all who attended. O.M.G. I was going to the home of this mentor.

Well afterwards I followed her to his home where there was very expensive and luxurious pieces of artwork all over. At first I felt a little intimidated being in the presence of all these intellectuals, needless to say in front of him too. But I was so proud of Lisa WALKING in there so confidently (after this mentor said she wouldn't). Then finally at one point the mentor sat near both Lisa and I and a conversation began.

It was a conversation about religion (duh) and something came up and a debate over Baptism and Catholicism broached. Now I was taught years ago that philosopher's jobs were to ARGUE. WELL! Before I knew it I was sitting between these two BRILLIANT minds watching them spar back and forth. It was not an argument by any means. It was simply a debate. A battle of the minds between two intellectuals. I was in AWE. I am sure it was equivalent for Lisa watching me spar Steven Lin or something. I was in my glory. To see MY mentor up against one of HER former mentors who until up to this point has only been a name to me who've I heard so much about, watching her best him! Stunning!

One of my favorite moments was when the former mentor made a statement and Lisa had this astounded face and she just said in an exasperated voice "Who am I speaking to?!" LOVED IT! If I were to watch Master Balon compete his forms against his former teacher, or watch Master Bardatsos spar against his old coach, or watch Master DeJesus fight his former master, or see Charlene out bench press her old trainer, this moment right here was one for the books for me! To see Lisa go toe to toe with her former mentor! Bravo Lisa! Bravo! As if she didn't already just by WALKING into his home!

Yours in service,
ANDREW TRENTO

1 comment: