Monday, September 3, 2012

Best Friend Black Belts

I met Ms Gedman last year in December when I went to see Mr. Valentino's midterm test. Ms Gedman is a fourth degree Black Belt in the ATA Taekwondo Association, the same Mr. Valentino and his sister are a part of. We quickly got to know each other and I had even asked Ms Gedman and her partner, Mr. Rivera, to judge Samantha's Volk's 2nd Dan Black Belt test back in May.

What is so wonderful about being a part of the martial arts is that you make the greatest friends, and most of the time friends for life. You share an experience on the physical plane, an emotional and mental plane, and above all whether you believe/understand it or not, a spiritual plane. You have a connection that no one else can comprehend. And when you meet people who have the same passion as you, it intensifies. Ms Gedman became a very important part of my martial arts journey very quickly.

In fact, Ms Gedman was a part of my thirteen judge panel for the last day of my six day Master Pretest. I was so happy that she could be a part of that day and share what was to this point one of the most important experiences of my life.

Last weekend, I had the privilege of being a guest judge for Ms Gedman and Mr. Rivera at their club in Westfield, NJ. One of my own Black Belts came and they were nice enough to have have her on the table to judge as well.

Every Taekwondo school tests differently. The ATA have a very structured and standardized routine to test. I have always said this, but ATA students have great discipline and I believe it comes from the structured systems that the organization has in place. We started with the nine little people testing (under seven years of age I think) where they showed parts of their form and memorized steppings and techniques. Then came the larger group of higher belts, and adults. The candidates had to perform their forms, prearranged step movements, and a few even had to spar and break boards.

Two girls were going for their Black Belt. Their names were Zoe and Shannon. These two girls were best friends. They began their martial arts journey together and you can tell it meant so much to experience this journey together and have this achievement together. These two girls were very different but had the same love for the art and for each other.

We through physical challenges at them, watched them cheer each other on, push through the sparring, push through the boards, and perform the forms together. As I sat there watching them, I began having my own flashbacks of when I was going through the ranks from the age of 9-16. I also tested with my best friend through the ranks, and even a Black Belt test.

Kristin Barrett and I tested together under our old master in Saddle Brook, NJ on August 12, 2004. It was her last test with our old master and our last test together. It was just the two of us. Two people who couldn't be any more different, but had the same love for what they were doing and for each other. Kristin and I really pushed ourselves, and each other on that test. Mental challenges at the beginning, a little conditioning, all our basics, all our forms, self-defenses including a pellet gun which he's never done at the time, and we were the first to break five boards on a test.

That test will always be special to me because it was with my best friend. So I knew exactly how much this test for these two girls were. I wanted, as a guest judge, to bring as much as I could for the two to enjoy together, learn together, share together, and remember together as they were to go through this test. I was so proud of the girls, as if they were my own students.

We get these blasts from the past, to remind us of our history and how to help others make their own. It was an honor judging for Ms Gedman and Mr. Rivera, and I hope they have me back! And I graciously thank them for making my Black Belt welcome as well. Congratulations to all the new belts at ATA Westfield!

Yours in service,
MASTER TRENTO

No comments:

Post a Comment