Thursday, August 30, 2012

Echos of the Future

Bethany Disanno, Taylor Disanno, and Mia Giordano. The "Trento's Angels".
I have three student's that I call "Charlie's Angels", or better known as "Trento's Angels." Mia Giordano began training as a Little Ninja when she was three or four years old many years ago, when Kristin Barrett and I apprenticed under our old master. She made it up to green belt and stopped training when she was six or seven. When I began my own school, within one month, Mia came to the school with her mom and signed right up to pick up where she left off with me.

Bethany and Taylor Disanno are fraternal twins. I began teaching them when I was a senior instructor at my old master's school. I trained them up to high green belts and then when I parted ways with my old master, they left the school and continued training under me privately out of their own home, their backyard, their aunt's basement, and their grandparent's backyard until I opened my own school. Actually, their low blue belt test was the first belt test I did when I opened my own school.

Bethany and Taylor were the first belt test at TMAFC when it opened.
These three girls became such very close friends. As I have always seen in martial arts, they have found friends for life with each other. Not only are they great friends, but they are wonderful training partners. They encourage each other, they motivate each other, they help each other, they communicate with each other, they make goals together, they compete together, and they push each other. The energy between them is fantastic, and may even rival the connection the Friars of Old had.

The three of them made a goal together: to get their Black Belts together. They are all 13 years old, which is the age for the six day adult Black Belt test. Bethany and Taylor actually waited extra time so Mia can catch up in rank so they can take this test together. I have made mention of it many times in the test but to experience a Black Belt test with other people is such an amazing experience and a very special thing to share. Everyone single person I have ever tested with, I have a strong spiritual bond with.

Last Friday was their last color belt test together. I had made this an advance test with just the three of them, to give them a small taste of what their future test would be like together. As their master, I am so proud of their attitude and energy. Bethany always pushes on, and if she is struggling, she will whimper a little bit, but her outward effort always trumps the nerves. Taylor for as long as I have known her "freaks out" but this particular test I feel she really had her game face on like she never had before. She took control, and out of no where was showing skill and effort like never before. Mia is a powerhouse and the cheerleader of the group, who's energy is not only helpful but contagious. The three are a perfect balance together.
The "Angels" at their last color belt test.
They started with 500 jumping jacks, counting loud on each one. Then 15 minutes of speed and agility drills. They encouraged each other, woo-hoo-ed and ha-ed, they cheered each other, they pushed each other. When the 15 minutes were up, they had to do another 500, jumping jacks. They had to count loud, and before I knew it the audience began to count with them, they clapped on each jack, they got into it just as much as the Angels. I took a step back to take it all in. I was witnessing echos of the future. This was a sample of the awesome energy I would be witnessing at their Black Belt test in May of 2013.

I had a flashback on my 2nd Degree Black Belt test when me and my two fellow candidates had to hop on one leg for five minutes. We began to hop together, synchronized our energy, and clapped on each hop, and before we knew it, the audience was participating as well. The synergy was amazing! I knew these three girls will have what it takes to do the same on their test. It's going to be an amazing experience.

We followed the guidelines of the AAU Taekwondo and did all their forms first. They have 10-11 forms to perform full speed full power, and in great detail. I was on them like a hawk. I didn't care how tired they were, they were to still push themselves, be loud, and show proper technique. Next came the general knowledge where they recited Korean history and then performed all their basic blocks, kicks, and kicking combinations. Their bodies were beginning to fail them, but this was the crucial point to see how they'd push on and take control of their bodies.
Bethany, Mia, and Taylor at the AAU NJ State Championships.
They next had to put their full gear on and do several rounds of 2 minutes sparring matches. They all learned Olympic Taekwondo, and both Mia and Bethany have competed in Olympic style sparring. They had to show endurance, strategy, speed and agility, footwork, and skill. After about four or five matches each, they took their gear off and we moved onto self-defense. They showed all their low level escapes, and their high level self-defenses. Then they finished off with their current level breaking techniques.

The test was two hours long. The three did phenomenally. I was proud of their persistence. I was proud of their attitude. I am proud of how far they have come and how much they have grown. Not physically but emotionally and spiritually as young women. May 2013 will be a Black Belt test to remember. I can feel it. Congratulations to the "Angels" and keep up the determination.
Yours in service,
MASTER TRENTO

No comments:

Post a Comment