Monday, July 15, 2013

2013 AAU Nationals

Gold in forms, Bronze in sparring
 I wrote a blog last week while I was in Florida, sitting by the pool. But for some reason the entire post not only didn't post on my blog but didn't save. So it has gone on it's own vacation in the land of lost files of the internet! So I figured I would just recap the experience we had competing at the national level in Taekwondo!

I didn't have as many students as last year compete, hopefully we can build up the program and the team for the following year. We went last year for the first time to the AAU Nationals. At that time it had been seven years since I personally did ANY type of national competition. But it was my first national tournament as an adult.

I work really hard to be well rounded, and I hold high expectations for myself. Some may seen unreasonable, but I never lower the bar as to not limit myself, and give me a point to push myself and my abilities. But one area that I do struggle with the most is sparring. I began sparring competition when I was 13 years old, I was only ever a Black Belt competing, and I won several Gold medals, state titles, and had the opportunity to compete at the USAT Junior Olympics twice, once in Atlanta, GA and once in San Antonio, TX, where I won bronze.

Local competitions are not bad to go to, state wide tournaments are more intense and challenging, but not impossible to do, but national competition is a whole different ball game, and international level is an entire different universe!! In order to do serious level competition, especially in Black Belt division, you have to start early, 16 the latest! Anything after that it is going to be really really difficult, many will say even too late.

I was on the right path. I competed in the fierce Black Belt 14-17 year old divisions for years, and even competed against Jayson Grant when I turned 18 in the adult division. I was just fresh meat at the time. But then my old master drifted away from that world, and I of course followed wherever my old master went and I did not continue on that path. I still trained of course, but the competition world is in constant innovation. You have to keep up with it for the right transition.

So in October 2011 when I decided to get back into competition, it was after a four year break. It was tough, but I held my own. The training I did do with Master Bardatsos was definitely helping. I did win gold at the NJ AAU State tournament, and I had a lot of struggles this year and I began doubting myself for this year.

Was I getting too old already? Was I ever going to get to the level of skill I want to be at? Titles and medals aren't as important to me as the ability and skill I want to acquire. Needless to say, I was very nervous for this years nationals. Even emotional. I was in a heavier weight division also. But I won my first two rounds and made it to the third round of the semi finals. I sparred against a national team member of the AAU, sparred a great match, and won my first bronze medal at the AAU national tournament. 

I know I didn't prepare as much as I could have, or at least to the ability I know I can and wanted to do. But imagine if I did? Now I a little more confidence. Now I feel like I can do it. Now I have to push myself for that serious motivation to get to where I want to be. Do I take on a lot? Yes. Do I spread myself out thin sometimes? Yes. But I can do it. And if I want it bad enough, I will do it and do it well. I want to go for the gold next year. I have never placed Gold in sparring at the national level. I only have a few more years left to do higher level competition. I am going to make it worth my while.

I have re-established my goals and have to meet with my sparring mentor. I have kept up greatly with the other mentors. But I still have three years of master training to do to reach where I want to be. And of course with me pushing myself, I can push my students as well. And I am so proud of how far they have come as well.

Young William Stiehl has a great gift in forms. I have no problem saying that he is a gold medal forms competitor and will go far with his forms. Grace, beauty, control, power, and technique for his age are flawless. But he's still only an eight year old, but maximum amount of potential. His aprring he also had potential in and competition has helped him stay motivated, even if he gets scared, to progress. I don't think without competition would he have reached the level he is at now.

Andrew Kranich I am very proud of. For many years he could not compete, and I wanted him to have this experience. Truth be told, I told him at 19 years old, it's going to be VERY difficult as an adult and many would say too late. But I have taught him that nothing is impossible. He won Silver at the Garden State Cup, Silver at AAU NY state championships, and double Gold in AAU NJ state championships. He sparred valiantly at the national level and came home with a great amount of experience. I am happy he had the opportunity to do it and I hope he continues. 

The nationals were a great experience for us. I am motivated for myself, I am motivated for my students, I am motivated for my school. Now to put the work behind it all! (BOWS)

Yours in service,
MASTER TRENTO

No comments:

Post a Comment