Wednesday, July 24, 2013

The 5th Degree Mentor

Two of my mentors: Master Samuel DeJesus on left, Master Kevin Balon on right.

The above picture are two of my personal mentors who mean a great deal to me. I met both of them four years ago. When I was 19 years old, all alone in the world working on opening my own school and looking for a way for me to test for 3rd Degree, I found Master Balon who just happened to be the best of the best. He took me in, introduced me to the AAU Taekwondo program which has taken care of me ever since. When I tested for 3rd Degree Black Belt, this other guy from outside of Master Balon's school was also testing for his 4th Degree Black belt. His name was Samuel DeJesus, and he was testing to become a master!

Wow! That was my goal, my dream! I got to see someone else do it right in front of my eyes! I watched him do this Haganah self-defense, and I remember saying to him "You're going to teach me that one day." Remember words have power. Last year when I tested under Master Balon again for my master test for 4th Degree, Master DeJesus mentored me and trained me in the Haganah system which I was so determined to demonstrate on my test.

Last week, Friday July 19th, Master DeJesus tested for his 5th Degree Black Belt. How awesome and exciting! It's not every day you get to see someone test for such a high rank. So once again, the three of us were together for a Black Belt exam. Nothing was going to keep me from coming to this test. Both of these gentleman have done so much for me in my training, my business, and my personal life.

I was there to support all of the Fastkix students as well, getting to know so many of them myself over the last couple of years from either testing, competitions, or random visits I have had at the school. I was equally proud of them and their achievements as I was of my mentor's.

The school's air conditioning was being replaced so the test was held at the inn across the street from Fastkix Taekwondo. Master Balon had said it best, "Black Belts learn to make adjustments and work with the best case scenarios we make for ourselves." And that is exactly what they did. It was great to see the progress of the Fastkix students I have had the privilege of knowing and watching. A shout out to Sabrina and Isabella on their tremendous improvement, to Lenny and Neil who were fantastic and make a great team, and to Andy who did not let nerves get the best of him!

It was great to watch Master DeJesus do his forms, we were in the same group when we tested together four years ago. It was through forms that I got to meet him and know him originally. He did a mix of the Olympic Taekwondo forms and a few traditional forms. Master Balon threw in one of his "Balon surprises" as his group also demonstrated three stations of doing kicks. One was for accuracy where they kicked a cup off someone's hand doing a spinning hook kick. Another station they kept throwing kicks to all possible area demonstrating all the Taekwondo kick uses, and another station was a blind folded jump spinning side kick break. Master DeJesus said he's never done a jump spinning kick blind folded for breaking. What an awesome first!

Of course the self-defense mentor was beyond entertaining to watch do self-defenses and I believe all the spectators would have agreed. Watching Master DeJesus demonstrate doing self-defense techniques against open hands, gun defenses, and knife defenses is like watching a master painter stroke his paint brush on a canvas, or a great composer swinging the baton, or master chef swisk away his wooden spoon!

The first attacker Master DeJesus asked "Can I hit you?" The attacker said "Yeah, sure." HEE HEE. I think he regretted saying yes after the first knee to the stomach. Master DeJesus punched where he needed, threw his knees, brought them to the ground, did his strikes, and smiled as he went to the next line. LOL! Another moment, one of the attackers was explaining to him what they do for their knife defenses. Master DeJesus looked up and said "Want to see my way?" Before the attacker knew it, he was on his back looking at the ceiling. LOL! Master Balon also allowed Master DeJesus to show any defenses of his choice at the end of the self-defense portion.

Then the sparring portion began. Master Balon asked for floor judging and I only saw Miss Sue stand in, so I volunteered to stand up and help in any way I can. It was great to watch everyone spar, and it's been a long time since I've seen Master DeJesus spar with gear on. He sparred with Kevin Sanidad who I haven't seen in a very long time, Master Balon's son Mr. Charles Ferrone who is fantastic and coaches the Force One Team, and another student who was testing named Mike who has fantastic ability. They were all great sparring matches.

I also helped a little bit at the request of Master Balon for holding for breaking. The breaking always impresses me with the students, and they break one inch boards regardless of age. Master DeJesus did an impressive flying side kick break over four people bending over. His final break was a jump spinning side kick which was a phenomenal challenge. I better start working at it now!

It was a wonderful test and I was so proud of all the Fastkix students and of Master DeJesus. I may not have as much history with these two men as they do with each other, but I do know it is an honor and privilege to have both these men in my life and to be a part of the New Jersey AAU Taekwondo.Congratulations to all the Fastkix students on their new ranks! Congratulations to Master Balon on another successful examination! And congratulations to Master Samuel DeJesus on his 5th Degree Black Belt! A job well done by all! (BOWS)
From left to right: Neil Bloom, Master DeJesus, Nick Carbley, Miss Sue Batkko, Mr. Charles Ferrone, Master Kevin Balon, Mr. Lenny, and Kevin Sanidad.

Yours in service,
MASTER TRENTO


1 comment:

  1. No one goes it alone . To have a group that inspires and learns from one another make you all the richer in so many ways. Each brings something wonderful and each brings something unique.

    How very special!

    ReplyDelete