Tuesday, August 6, 2013

An Accomplished Mentor

Master Kevin Balon, 7th Dan Black Belt
Master Kevin Balon is a 7th Degree Black Belt in Taekwondo. I met him four years ago by chance. Well, maybe it wasn't by chance. I always had a knack for attracting the best of the best into my life. And Master Balon truly is the BEST at what he does. I was on my own in the world, lost and didn't know what to do or how to move forward in my training and I was trying to figure out what to do and how to open my own martial arts school. So I did what any good investigator and researcher would do: I went to Google. LOL

I came across an organization called the AAU Taekwondo. I really liked it. It recognized both styles of Taekwondo which was a big plus for me since I studied both, but the sometimes overseen traditional style was very apparent and alive in this organization, so that was a big win for me. They had Black Belt certifications, and it looked like a great program for school owners to be a part of. So I wondered if there was anyone in New Jersey affiliated with the AAU. And that's when Master Kevin Balon's name showed up.

Now naive me, if I only knew that New Jersey AAU and Master Balon were both synonymous! Master Balon IS New Jersey AAU Taekwondo. For 20 years, Master Balon's dedication, commitment, and service to this program has been unparalleled. His reputation precedes him and everyone within the organization knows this of him. Hell, even people outside in other organizations know of him! And how cool is it to be that respected and that well known? He has accomplished so much and what he has done for this program has definitely not gone unnoticed.

Master Balon is not only the New Jersey District Director, he was the Region 1 Director for the AAU, he was on the National Executive Committee, he was a Clinical Coordinator and able to certify officials, he went to every national tournament for 20 years with maybe the exception of ONE, was a AA official which is the highest class official in the AAU, would go to every conference and supported many tournaments across the east coast and probably more! I am sure there are hats that I don't even know about that he has done! His commitment to this program is absolutely admirable.

But even more so than being a tremendous asset to the AAU program, he is a fantastic martial artist. Just being around him, you can see that he truly loves what he is doing, he loves and respects his martial arts, and he really cares about his students, inside the school and out. People like Master DeJesus and I are honored and privileged to have this mentor in our lives and give him the most utmost respect.

Master Balon, everyone who has ever come in contact with you knows how wonderful you are, not only as a martial artist and master, but as a human being. Thank you for all you do. Your accomplishments and dedication to the AAU is honorable and there are thousands of people who admire you and are grateful to you for it. You deserve every accolade in the world for it. And even more so, your students and mentees such as myself love you very much. Thank you, sir, for representing what the martial arts is all about. (BOWS)

Yours in service,
MASTER TRENTO


No comments:

Post a Comment