Friday, August 16, 2013

Michael the Sailor

Me and Sailorman Michael Feliciano at my 3 yr anniversary
I am an overly emotional person. It is just my make up of who I am. My high level of emotional capacity gives me a great deal of understanding and empathy. This morning I was at the Dunkin Donuts getting my coffee and when I walked in, there was a woman in army uniform in there. My eyes filled with tears. No I was not sad. No I was not frightened. Now I was not feeling pity. I was feeling gratitude. Such gratitude overcame my entire body. The week of my 4th Degree mock test, a similar instance happened, where I followed Mr. Valentino down to south Jersey and a group of men and women in military attire were walking past. My eyes teared up and I beeped my horn and saluted them.

I admire and have great respect for anyone in our military. Army/national guard, navy, marines, or the air force. Civilians do not understand what they go through for this country, what they do for this country, what they give up for this country. These individuals made a choice. Whatever reasons they made their choices, they made a choice. And with that choice, I have deep and utmost respect and honor for each and every one of them.

My grandfather was in the marine corps from 1953-1957, my BFF room mate Kristin Barrett was in the national guard, my Uncle Rudy Trento was in the Korean war, a childhood friend of mine Erik Filipek went to West Point and is in the army now, and I am sure there are people I have come across and never even knew they were in our military.

One of my closest friends in the world and fellow Friar of Old is Julie Feliciano. We trained in the martial arts together and she has a younger brother named Michael. This past winter, Michael made the most honorable choice of entering the U.S Navy and went for his bootcamp training. Julie and Michael are very close and we spoke many a time during his period of absence. It was very hard for her, although she was very proud of him, as was I. His two nephews and niece are also students of mine, and I've known his mother since I was their age!

Julie and her mother sent letters and pictures just about every day I think. Then after a few months they all drove, I think to Chicago, for his graduation of bootcamp. They were so proud, and so was I. They reported how great he looked, and you was a totally different person. But even more so, he had this great warmth and sense of responsibility that comes with being in the service that was so recognizable.

SO when I celebrated my three year anniversary, I got to see Michael for the first time. He came in uniform, he stood tall and proud, and my eyes welled up. I was so happy to see him, and for a special occasion too. He looked fantastic. He seemed to be taller than I saw him last time, but he was glowing. He told me how much he loved what he was doing, but he missed home. He told me how proud he was to be a sailor. He mentioned how he was home for a few weeks and then would be flying out to some country he was not allowed to say where.

And of course at the beginning of my anniversary class, my students always bow to the flags, and then they bow to me. But we did an extra bow that day. I made the entire class face Sailorman Michael Felicano, and bow in respect. It was an honor and privilege to have him there at my school. Any person who serves our country in the military deserve the highest respect. People do not realize the work they do and what some of them go through. And sometimes our society needs to realize we may not support the decision our politicians make for our country that involve the troops. You don't have to be for or against any war, but always support our troops.

I am so proud of Michael. This is one of the greatest things he has done for himself in his life, and his country. His sister Julie is proud, his mother is proud, his nieces and nephews are proud, his whole family is proud, and I am proud too. (BOWS)

Yours in service,
MASTER TRENTO

No comments:

Post a Comment