Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Master Balon Visits TMAFC

The Competition Team with Master Kevin Balon at TMAFC
"If it doesn't challenge you, it won't change you."
Master Kevin Balon
TMAFC students listening to Master Balon's advice.

One of the greatest martial artists I have ever met is my mentor Master Kevin Balon. He is a 7th Degree Black Belt and the AAU New Jersey District Director. He is a phenomenal mentor. Everyone who knows me knows the story of how I was on my own back in 2009, just starting up my own business and looking for someone who knew my forms and could test me for my 3rd Degree and I came across the AAU. Little did I know, Master Balon WAS New Jersey AAU. I took three lessons with him before he tested me for my 3rd Degree Black Belt in 2009 and it didn't take much time to see how phenomenal he was.

In 2012 he tested me for my 4th Dan Black Belt, my master level, which was a goal of mine since I was a young kid. Over the years I continued to train with Master Balon in Taekwondo. He has a superb eye for detail and a fantastic ability to think outside the box and be innovative in training. His knowledge and passion for teaching Taekwondo goes beyond measure. I strive very hard to attain the vast ability he has. Like any truly great mentor, he always pushes the envelope for me, always keeping me on my toes and striving to become better, as a martial artist and businessman.

When I wasn't well last year, Master Balon had offered to come up to my school. But we never arranged anything. After getting back on my feet and clearing my head the last few months I have been up to some great projects and building anew at my center. My team and I have planned ways to build up my fitness program and I also incorporated a more regimented and structured competition team. I expressed to Master Balon that I have been looking into bringing in to my center a lot of "new", new classes, new programs, new routines, new energy. So I asked him if he would come to the center and offer his experience to my students.
I love watching my mentor in action. 
Master Balon explaining the importance of uniting as a team!

I have never had Master Balon at my school before and it was a really big deal to me. I made sure everything was clean and right, and I was also nervous too. It was an honor for me to have him at TMAFC. He arrived for the first class and I told him that the mats were his. He was going to introduce Point Sparring to my students on our new competition team and review competition forms.

What I absolutely loved was that he had no problem getting in their face and calling them out about being a TEAM. Not in an abrasive way, but in a way that built unity. He made everyone go into a circle and perform their favorite move and introduce themselves and say their name while everyone clapped and cheered them on. He encouraged everyone to woot and cheer and encourage each other to build unity and communication. Enthusiasm builds energy and Master Balon was on it! He also caught them off guard with something as simple as one question: What is your team name?

Everyone kept wanting to use my name, but this is about THEM. To build communication and interest as well as enthusiasm, it gave them a sense of unity that will make them stronger as a team. That's what I love about Master Balon. He's not only teaching technique, strategy, and exercise, but comradery and teamwork, and he does it in such a unique way!
Master Balon observes Aram before his competition. 
Three generations of martial artists. 
He did just as much drills and application as he did lecture. His advice was great and all the students thought so when I got their feedback. But I also knew a lot of it was for ME as I observed carefully. As he was explaining the drills and purpose behind what they were doing to the team, I could catch how he was indirectly advising me how I could incorporate these drills into the classes as well. The team was excited as they were learning this new style of sparring and Master Balon got right in there with them too! He put his gear on and moved around with everyone just as much. It was a thrill for my students to get a chance to spar with Master Balon himself!

I think for me, one of the greatest points of the day was watching Master Balon get to work and advise my own students with their forms as he does with me. It was special to me to watch him give his advise and watch them do their forms. He was honest, encouraging, gave pointers to improving, and I was happy for my students to see how great his eye for detail was, as well as possibly reiterate some things that I would say. But sometimes, we need someone else to say it for it to be heard or mean something sometimes! In fact, I made a bet with one of my brown belt girls that Master Balon was going to make a comment about her running jump side kick. Sure enough, he did and also gave her humbling advise on not being afraid of being hurt and overcoming her fear. By the way, Samantha N if you're reading this you owe me fifty bucks! =P

My advance belts were introduced to breaking. Some were very nervous as they have never broken before and one inch boards on top of that. Master Balon's students always impressed me with their breaking and I wanted to uphold those same standards for myself and my students. Master Balon is excellent at board breaking and gave some phenomenal tips and drills to help the students board break. The girls getting ready for Black Belt testing were extremely surprised at how much they were able to break their boards after listening to Master Balon's advice and feel so much more confident in their breaking.

When I was a color belt, even and earlier ranked Black Belt, I remember my fellow training buddies and I felt like 4th Dan was untouchable! We never saw a Black Belt rank higher than that. And we also really never learned from anyone else other than our own master and our school instructors. I emphasized to my students that it is not every day you get to work with, not only a 7th Degree Black belt but a Black Belt at such a caliber as Master Balon. I had a white belt and a couple of yellow belts getting to experience working with Master Balon and I think it's so awesome for them to have that experience.  I will do whatever it takes to help my students have the best experience in the martial arts and to improve and sometimes that means bringing in the best of the best. And Master Balon truly is the best.
         

   

 Not only did Master Balon work with the martial arts students but also taught my kickboxing class with my ladies at the end of the day. I was happy to have my fitness members experience Master Balon as well. I explained to him that for a long time I have been looking into changing up my style and adding up and changing routines and bringing in some "new" to the program. My routines and style is very different from Master Balon's, but we always bounce ideas off each other, and Master Balon knows I am always open to change and new.

I also wanted him to see what a great group we do have. Some couldn't make it to the class, but the ones who did make it I was happy they were there. We had not only a great workout but some good laughs. When I used to teach at my old master's school, and when I taught at the gym, and when I first started, my classes were full of energy and I'd get the entire class to woo hoo and ha ha and count loud with energy. Classes are still great but it's been missing that energy and I told Master Balon I needed along with new and rejolt of energy.

Well Master Balon definitely delivered. The class counted loud, they were enthusiastic, and they liked a change of pace and new way of working out. As much as he was explaining to the class, he was offering me advice as well of how to change up and build the program. At the end Master Balon also explained Advocare products which he has incorporated at his school and something I will be doing at my school that not only had his members benefited from but his entire family as well. (later blog on that one).

It was a fantastic day. Master Balon has always looked out for me, since I was that 19 year old kid wandering out of the fog one day wanting to start my own school. Each year I have accomplished all the goals and did exactly what I would do as to not overwhelm myself, but true to my word. I am a full supporter of the AAU program as it has taken great care of me over the years. It meant a lot to me to have him at my center and to bringing his experience to my students on our mats. I hope he knows that he and the rest of our AAU NJ family are always welcome to TMAFC and we want to extend a huge thank you to Master Balon for his tremendous support and experience to our center! Thank you Master Balon! (BOWS)
Master Balon helping the Samantha, Danielle, and Tomasz. 
The Ravishing Red Belts having fun with Master Balon. 
Master Balon and Master Trento with Thomas Cubby who broke his first board ever!


Yours in service,
MASTER A TRENTO

DON'T FORGET TO SUBSCRIBE TO MY CHANNEL! YOUTUBE.COM/TMAFCONLINE

No comments:

Post a Comment