Tuesday, November 4, 2014

First Tournament of the Season

Me at the U.S Open Masters Taekwondo Championship in Colonia, NJ
Me officiating at the U.S Master Open. Photo courtesy of Mark Williams of MarkSharkPix Photography.
My students Tomasz, William, and Anthony at the tournament. Photo courtesy of Mark Williams of MarkSharkPix Photography.
October was certainly a busy month. Behind the scenes I have a team of some great people who help me with projects in the office of running TMAFC among other projects. This month we had Master Balon come visit as a special guest, introducing Point Sparring, Breaking, and Advocare to the school. I had my first Master Trento Special on the YouTube Channel with Grandmaster Suh Chong Kang, I had dear friends from Georgia come to visit in the New York, New Jersey area. I had our school's monster mash and belt testing for 25 students. And I am finishing up my next Special that will hopefully done this week!

But one of the highlights was the new and improved, totally revamped competition team. We have a team of 11 people on the team. They signed contracts and have their own two hour slot in the schedule to train for tournaments. My student, Robert Lisciandrello runs the classes and coaches at the competition along with help from other adult students, and I jump in as often as I can.

The Friday before the first tournament of the season for the team I had Master Kevin Balon visit TMAFC and he really instilled to them the importance of teamwork and cheering each other on, encouraging, and being supportive to give the sense of unity! Well the timing couldn't have been any better because our team was full of spirit, camaraderie, and one of the loudest crews in attendance supporting each other. They helped warm each other up, stretched with each other, and they would run to ring to ring to cheer each other on!

I was representing the AAU Taekwondo by officiating. I went in my AAU suit with my AAU tie, my AAU pin, and worked my best to give quality officiating in my ring. I believe my ring ran very smoothly, promptly, and professionally. I did my best to keep the ring flowing and take command of the ring and be of fair mind. I think I accomplished that.

My students were fantastic for their first tournament. There were two events for them to compete in which were forms and Olympic sparring. We also had a lot of first time competitors as well, including adults, not just the kids. We also had two team members who did not compete but came to support and cheer on their team members until everyone was finished that day. That teamwork I am very proud of them for.

The students who competed before were my "ravishing reds", four red belts that have come up through the ranks together. William, Tomasz, Theodoris, and Anthony all not only did a fantastic job but they were the loudest competitors in their ring. I knew exactly where they were in the gym from their Kias! They would stretch each other out and warm up each other up and would run from ring to ring to support the team mates competing.

Aram is a high green belt and has been looking forward to competing for a very long time. He had sch a great attitude and got two medals in his first tournament! John Michael also competed for his very first time and has come such a long way in his training, he was very happy to bring home his gold for doing forms!

And I also had three adult students compete. Nicole made TMAFC history by being my very first white belt competing in a tournament EVER in my dozen years or so of competition years. Besides being a female white belt competitor, it was technically her FIRST time wearing her Olympic sparring gear and she brought home two gold medals! Thomas Cubby is our ray of sunshine, full of positive spirit and enthusiasm on our team! It was his first tournament ever as well, bringing home two golds, and shows great promise! And a veteran competitor was Ara Grigoryan who also took home two gold medals.

Jamie and Marcel did not compete but were there to support their team members for the enitre day and wouldn't go home until everyone was done! I was so proud of this entire team for their energy, camaraderie, and the parents and families who came to support and stay as well! By the end of the day for our first tournament of the season we brought home 7 gold medals, 2 silvers, and 4 bronzes. Not too shabby!

Congratulations to the team and thanks to Robert and the families for their hard work and support! I am very proud of you all! (BOWS)








Yours in service,
MASTER A TRENTO

No comments:

Post a Comment