Wednesday, February 11, 2015

2015 Anew

Nobody, and I mean nobody, was more excited for this new year than I was. NO ONE! I had the worst 2014 ever. Is it dramatic to say it was the worst year I have ever had in my life? Am I exaggerating? I had lots of bad years before. I had lots of okay years. I remember once when I had great years. I had milestone years. But 2014 was the absolute WORST. I couldn't wait to say good bye to it. I couldn't wait for 2015.

There's not to say I didn't have some really good moments and blessed new that came about. But the negatives weighed so much. Call me a drama queen, I suffered, I had more heartache than ever, I had more headache and demise than ever before, I wanted OUT of 2014. The bad weighed tons and tons.

Without going into detail or even discussing any further of the negatives of 2014, let's take a look at the good that I did take from it. My adult martial arts program picked up and I have a group of students who are not only as loyal as you can ever imagine, but are a strong and tight group of great people whom I am so blessed to have, and are great friends. I have made friends who are practically family from afar, particularly in Georgia whom I love very much. I even went to Dollywood in Tennessee which I was privileged to accompany them. I had a Just Be BBQ that meant the world to me to have the all star cast of my life together for the first time ever. TMAFC's competition team was revamped and better than ever. I visited Nina in Baltimore, Master Balon came to TMAFC for the first time, and Aunt Karen finally opened the bakery. We also celebrated the 50th anniversary of the SBHS Choir, a momentous occasion for so many people from my family and hometown. And I finally began my interview projects which included meeting Grandmasters Suh Chong and Hosun Kang, Mike Lee Kanarek, and Mark the Shark Williams.

But I had a great deal of loss. Some that meant the world to me. Some I never thought would ever disappear. Best friends, mentors, long lasting friendships. There were over a dozen deaths, more funerals than I ever wanted to go to. And the remaining traditions I held in my life are no more. None left. But the theme was clear for the year. Just be and let it go, no pun on the year's anthem. I wondered what it was I was supposed to do and for whom. I felt like I was drowning and had no life preserver. At one point I thought one presented itself which would require me to move out of state. I never felt more confused or indecisive in my entire life. It doesn't feel good when most of your life you are so sure and proactive about everything you do. In 2014, I was very much NOT myself.

Hard Choices had to be made, and they were. To stay in New Jersey or not? To "fire" mentors or not? To rid of toxic people when you wanted to believe in them or not? To renew a business lease or not? To stay in my old apartment or not? To say goodbye to old friends or not? To bring people along for the next adventure or not? But I understand something. Someone once told me how will you ever get polished if you get irritated by every rub? I DO believe things happen for a reason, and I understand we teach what we have to learn the most and we seek our problems for their gifts. Also that the people who vex us the most have the most to teach us. And that everything we are to learn we already know. It's bringing it forth that is important.

So now here is 2015! My arms were held out wide to welcome it! And of course 2014 ended with a broken tradition. After eight years, I could not bring in the new year with the people I normally did. But I was able to bring it in with new friends and wonderful students, Sifu and Simo, and enjoy with my brothers and brother's girlfriend. My training has been going great and consistent. I have been training with my mentors. I have great plans and new goals. I am getting more involved with the AAU as I had hoped to. But I also still had some major decisions to make.

The biggest decision I had to make was changing my location of TMAFC. I chose to stay in New Jersey and it was time to make a change to grow to new heights. After dealing with a new landlord of my location, terms could not be agreed upon, but friends and mentors agreed it was time to go. But I ended up moving to my dream location in Saddle Brook, New Jersey, my hometown within the gym my mentor had created which gave me my start all those years ago. Not only is it a better situation fo rme, but so much room for growth and expansion in ways I couldn't before. I wanted to, but was not able to do. I'll have consistency and I have a fantastic team of mature level headed people (shout out to New Mike and Joss), and I'm around good people again.

The move was quick. The landlord agreed to my moving but gave a VERY small window to leave which put me in a tight spot, but we adjusted. The members were made aware, and I had a small army help me, including two of my personal mentors, Master Balon and Ms Gedman. It meant the world to me. My dear friend John is back and helped, and not only did my friends help but their significant others who have been so supportive and become great friends of mine as well. And quite honestly, I couldn't be happier with this move.

Only a week after moving my school did Sifu have me Kung Fu test. I will never ask when I am testing, but if Sifu thinks I am ready, I am ready! My standards are very high and I want to show the Kung Fu spirit within in not only within my body but my mind and spirit, and I want to represent my Sifu well. It means a lot to me, and I am glad I tested, Just as last time, I did my test quietly and humbly.

My competition team is going to their first AAU tournament of the year this weekend, and I will be going back to Georgia to help with their tournament, as well as two other AAU tournaments in March. I have belt testing coming up and our first Black Belt test we have had in a long time and my first pure bred Trento students in our new facility!! This April I'll be working the NJ tournament with my mentor Master Balon, and I have decided I AM going to do another Just Be BBQ, the second iteration. Bigger and better if that is possible! I am al;ready looking forward to this year's nationals as well in Florida. 2015 is going to be the best! The absolute best!

This year I broke my Super Bowl tradition. It was on me. The last eight years I normally spend it with Robert. But he already kinda had planned things with friends and I was beyond exhausted from the moving of TMAFC which was physically and emotionally tiresome. It might as well have been. The rest were gone. Ara and Juneta were having TMAFC friends and students over along with some of their friends so I went across the street there. I had a picture of Sifu I was going to show to everyone because he looked JUST like my old master. I took it out to show and was going to say "Who's this look like?" But I had to stop. I paused and had an "aha" moment right there and then.

I looked around. There was not one person there from that era. Not ONE. I couldn't believe it. No one there knew this man I was going to refer to. No one even knew what he looked like. That moment really hit me. I could not believe I was at a point where I was in a room that I shared so much with but no connection from that time was present. How far have I come since then. Fascinating really.

We are entering the year of the Wooden Sheep with the upcoming Chinese New Year. Wood represents balance and in the year of the sheep we will have a balance of peace and prosperity. Any projects or endeavors we begin this year will be seen to fruition and in its longevity. I not only welcome 2015 with open arms, but I am truly excited for all that is to come. I am saddened that there are some who won't be taking the ride and afraid it won't be the end of that happening. But the new chapter begins, and even with some returns, there won't be any back stage passes for this show. The new saga for the book begins. (BOWS)

Yours in service,
MASTER A TRENTO

No comments:

Post a Comment