Friday, March 6, 2015

Undying Love

I don't remember this magazine having permission to use MY picture on the cover! LOL!!!
"I'm not funny. What I am is brave."
-Lucille Ball
Everyone who knows me knows how much I love Lucy. But so did the world. I have been a Lucy fan for as long as I could remember. Not only for her work but for the person. I actually have my own Lucy moments just about every week, I wish I could have them recorded. There have been many close to me who have had the privilege of experiencing those moments with me. I have a lot of them by myself these days.

So of course when a magazine has Lucille Ball on the cover of it, a few of my students and members had to get it for me. I was the first person they thought of! I know all about Lucy, so reading these articles that makes it seem like its all "new information" is malarkey. But reading the article still reminds me how very much I AM like Lucy. 

Lucille Ball is a pioneer and the reason we all have televisions today! The funniest and hardest working woman ever, she was the greatest at her trade and no one could top her. I Love Lucy is the only television show EVER that is playing every hour of every day since 1956. More people watched her having baby Ricky then Eisenhower's inaugural address and bumped him off the front page. She began this television show with her real life husband Desi Arnaz. They fell in love doing a film together.

They met resistance at first with the networks. Who would believe the all American girl was married to a Cuban? But she argued that she WAS. They took matters in their own hands doing an on the road vaudeville act and the rest  was history. But this was also so she could work with her husband who was jealous of her career and couldn't stand being known as Mr. Ball in the time of the 1950s. But Lucy had a mouth on her and didn't put up with such nonsense and gender role stereotypes, and her response to that was "If they put an "s" on the last name of it, you'd be shaking their hands!"

Desi along with Vivian Vance and Will Frawley were well known but got their universal fame because of Lucy. She shared the fame and glory, never worrying about herself, but anyone who joined in on her ride benefited greatly. But her husband was a womanizer. He had his mistresses and it devastated her for so many years. Finally they decided to divorce and it broke America's heart, and I Love Lucy, was no more. 

But I don't know if people knew that after their divorce in 1960, they remained VERY close. They were the best of friends! They still ran their studio together which ran shows like The Dick Van Dyke Show and Star Trek. They loved being around each other more than anything. But they couldn't allow themselves to be together as a couple. Most of their friends and people who knew them to THIS DAY say that if they just put aside their differences and egos, stepped up to the plate and made personal changed within themselves, their marriage would have continued stronger and greater and lasted until they died. As successful and wonderful as Lucy was, she could never top I Love Lucy and no one to this day could ever beat her. But she always felt that something inside of her as stopping her from truly moving forward to being all she could be. Holding onto that undying love can be quite a weight. 

They both remarried, but their new marriages were NOT the same love affair that they both had for each other. Lucy's long time chauffeur for 30 years said he would pick up the phone and say "Miss Ball, it's your husband!" And she would respond "Which one?" 

They talked every week, but there is one thing that never ended. Their love for each other. Even though they went on with their lives, they never really gotten over being in love with each other, and all their closest friends and relatives knew it. Some would say "Who knew if they knew it." Their love for each other was undying. The last time they spoke was what would have been their 45th wedding anniversary. He died a few days later. He was supposed to read a speech for Lucy at the Kennedy Center Honors that year. Someone else read his speech. He ended with "'I Love Lucy' was never just a title." 

Imagine all your life two people in love but ego and pride kept them apart? Don't let the hurts of the past take over. Allow for yourselves to grow and fix together. There's nothing wrong with asking for support for what you need to better yourself, and there is nothing wrong with disagreeing. People are allowed to feel what they need to feel, but if you KNOW you're hurting the other person, and that other person figures it out, however you stir the pot, there aren't truly any real deal breakers when true love is involved. Let love take over, not your fear. (BOWS)

Yours in service,
MASTER A TRENTO

No comments:

Post a Comment