Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Traveling Trials and Tribulations

When I was in high school, my music teacher used to get teased because she always had bad luck when it came to traveling. When she did a trip, it would snow, or the bus broke down, or something. Well I think I inherited this trait from her. People say the traveling is dramatic. I find it more entertaining sometimes in the middle of all it all. It's entertaining because the circumstances and situations you absolutely CANNOT make up. In the last three weeks alone I had four instances.

But before I give you those instances let me tell you two quick stories of my traveling trials and tribulations. 2007, Virginia Beach with Mrs. Verost and the choir, we had the major buses with nice seats and bathrooms and televisions. But as we traveled and while we were down there, we went through not one, not two, but three buses while down there! Each one prior to it, broke down. Another time we went to Six Flags and the bus broke down and we had to wait until they could send a new one.

In 2010, Aunt Karen, my brothers, my cousins, and my mother and I went to Florida. Our flight was for 5:30. We did not want to check in luggage but ours was randomly chosen to be checked in at no cost. Fine. THEN, we boarded the plane and waited on the runway for 45 minutes. We were then told there was an issue with the fuel, the plane originally was going to Ireland but now Florida so they had to change the type and amount of fuel. Fine. Half hour later, we are told to get off the plane. We de-board. 45 minutes later, they RE-board us onto the plane. ANOTHER 45 minutes later we are told we had a mechanical issue and one of the lights in front was out and had to be replaced. We sat for ANOTHER 45 minutes. Long story short, we were supposed to be in our hotel room by 8. We didn't LAND until close to 3AM.

We were cranky that next day and decided to go to Disney World which was NOT on the agenda. Things started off great, Aunt Karen and I (being who we are) were chosen as honorary prince and princess of the day and got free fast passes. We go to Space Mountain. Five minutes we are already in the front. We are n3ext on line to get on the ride. Someone goes on the speaker and tells us everyone has to leave because of a mechanical issue with the ride. We get another free fastpass. You can't make this up.

On the way home from that trip, we get on the plane to go back to New Jersey. We get on the plan, but we sit there once again for 45 minutes. Then the captain gets on the speaker and tells us there is a fuel issue on the right hand side of the plane and the fire department was called to help with the issue. -_____- you see my point.


SO this past month, ready for this? I was supposed to leave for my Georgia trip Thursday night at 6:25. It snowed VERY badly in New Jersey that day, a plane ran off the runway at La Guardia airport. I called, waited an hour until I got an operator, I was going to change my flight to next morning but operator said all flights were still on schedule. I said Fine. Then I get an email 30 minutes later telling me my flight was CANCELLED. I could not book flight for next morning, I had to wait until the following NIGHT. I lost a whole day. Upset, but fine.

Next day on Friday, I get to airport at 4:30 for a 6:30 flight. Get through security and get to gate, Blah Blah Blah, I get an email that the flight is delayed until 9:35pm!! I am annoyed and upset, this wasn't supposed to be an inconvenience for my friends down south either. Then the flight was delayed AGAIN until 9:50. Delayed YET AGAIN for 10:22. We go to a different gate by ten after ten, and we are told ANOTHER DELAY due to mechanical issues. By that time, the people in my gate and I were very close. We felt each other's pain and were not in the best of moods. Flight didn't leave until 11:05 and I called myself a cab and got to my friend's house at 2:35am, only to be ready and up and about at 6 to be at our destination at 7. It was a great trip but the getting there was a FUN adventure. I took the bus home which is a 16 hour drive, plus walk a few blocks to subway, walk a few blocks to port authority, take another bus to Jersey, then picked up by my loyal student Mike Gavela, go home shower, and immediately go to teach class.

That following Thursday I traveled ALL day to Rockaway, Denville, Clifton, I was all over the place, and then to Lodi to pick things up, and then crunched time to get classes. I was meeting friends later that night. I knew I needed gas and when I left that night the gas station that was nearest was closed. I knew of the next one off the highway. Problem was I never made it, I didn't have enough to get me there. I got stuck on the highway. I called AAA with 5% battery and my friends told me cancel the tow truck, they'll come help. Okay. I obeyed. Phone died. Apparently they could not get to me and decided to head back. SO my phone died and by 10pm, I got out of my car and waved down a two truck who helped me get to a gas station, bouht a car charger, and went on my way to my destination.

That weekend, I drove with Master DeJesus and a friend to West Chester Pennsylvania for our Haganah weekend. We left early Sunday at 10pm. Around 11pm, one hour away form our destination, we hit a pothole so big on 202 in Pennsylvania, that the car got a flat tire. And did you know new cars don't come with spare tires or donuts? Our friend called his insurance company ad we called taxi services, car services, tire places, etc. EVERYTHING is closed at that time. We rolled along slowly on the shoulder at 5 miles per hour to get over the bridge into New Jersey. I was yet again able to call AAA to get us, but they can only take 2 passengers and we were having trouble get a taxi. After MANY phone calls and synchronizing the tow truck and cab, we finally found someone (AAA could NOT) towed the truck to the tire place, took cab to two stops, drove to pick up my friend and bring him home and then drive home. I arrived home at 4:30am, only to be up for a morning appointment. LOL! I thought the funniest thing was that we had assault rifles and pistols and ammunition in the car from the weekend. Imagine what a police officer would have thought? LOL!

I'd have to say it;s never a dull moment, and when I get into these adventures, really have to laugh. People think I kid around when I say I am Lucy. But it's definitely not far from the truth! LOL! But we gotta take what we can and laugh in the moment the way Lucy would! Or cry the way Lucy would! LOL! (BOWS)

Yours in service,
MASTER A TRENTO

No comments:

Post a Comment