Sunday, October 11, 2015

Battle Ready at Mike Lee's

Mike Lee Kanarek and Master Trento at the Haganah USA Headquarters in Margate, FL
Back in March I attended the 2015 Haganah Conference. I went to get certified in Gen 2 Gun Disarm material in Nov 2014 in West Chester, PA and then was invited to the conference where I completed my certifications with the Knife and Empty Hand, upgraded Gen 2 Haganah FIGHT material. At the conference, the founder Mike Lee Kanarek had announced he was holding a certification at his school in Florida for Battle-Ready Kickboxing. I jumped immediately on the opportunity. He also told me it was a certification I would very much enjoy.

The last weekend on May, I flew down to Florida where for two days I would be training at Mike Lee Kanarek's school for the Battle-Ready Kickboxing Certification. I was very excited and knew this was a great opportunity as he had mentioned that he will be seldom with his certifications within the next year. But whenever you get a chance to work with a world class teacher like him at his own school, there's a great thrill that comes with the experience.

For weeks prior the certification, Mike Lee would text message all the people attending the certification, warning us that this certification would be VERY physical, VERY trying, and if anyone felt they couldn't handle it to not come and wait till next time. Almost every day he would send messages like that. Honestly, there was even a point where I felt like "Damn, I'm getting worried. I wonder if I can do this..." but I'm the kind of person I am not afraid of failing. I'll do my best and learn a lot and gain the experience either way. So I accepted the challenge.

When I got to his school, I was waiting outside of the school where a bunch of Haganah warriors from the brotherhood began to gather. Some came from New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Texas, and I think even Chicago. And of course a bunch of Florida. The attire was white T-Shirt, army pants, and we had certain things we had to bring in rucksacks. We waited patiently and Then Mike Lee arrived in his car and parked. His car just sat there parked for about a minute, and then he pulled out and drove away. (blink blink).

I had no clue what that was meant to be. Did he forget something? Was he trying to intimidate? Was he testing us? Did he just want to see who was on time? I had no clue. Then maybe a half hour later Mike Lee drove up again and as he arrived, everyone received a text message from him with a picture that stated :80% of Success is Showing Up.

We all signed in and we began with the lecture part of the certification where in Mike Lee's school we learned fundamental practices and routines, outlines, concepts, and a little back history to the program that actually began long ago but has been upgraded and re-surfacing as part of the Haganah system. After several hours of going over this information we got our rucksacks and began to make our way outside into the Florida night.

I have to tell you, it was such a thrilling experience to be jogging in the night with everyone to the place where we would do our physical qualifier for the certification. I really felt as if I were going out into battle with my brigade or something. We were given our objectives and did our qualifier which involved a lot of running and drills that had to be done in a time limit. The following day we began early and did a module of the isometric conditioning that teaches principles and combatives when fighting.

Listening to Mike Lee is absolutely fascinating. Not only technically and strategically but philosophically. I said that when I first met him. I loved to hear and watch and learn. I remember I kept thinking, "Damn, I bet there are so many people who think they can box and not know ANY of this!" I was really fascinated putting it all together and learning the combinations and methods to this type of fighting. I also kept thinking of my mentor back home, Master DeJesus. I wanted to make him proud. I was so grateful to being there and I'd never be a part of this world without him. Even Mike Lee said to me, "Trento! You're finally one of us! Do you believe it?"

You never know where you're going until you get there. And when you get there sometimes you don't know where to go. But just be and be grateful for the adventure! It was a great time being with all these badass warriors, many who also do other disciplines as well. But we all shared this amazing experience from this phenomenal leader. I chuckled a few times because I can see my mentor and his wife chuckling in my head. Who would have ever thought I would own boxing gloves and learning this level of combat? Who would have ever thought I'd be training at Mike Lee's school? Who would have ever thought....
Yours in service,
MASTER A TRENTO

No comments:

Post a Comment