Tuesday, March 1, 2016

"I'm Too Busy" Pet Peeve


I don't like to complain or rant and rave. But today, I'm going to. It's been on my mind for a while and this is something I have been saying for years and years and years. So maybe I'll get it all out of my system right here right now LOL. But this has got to be one of my biggest pet peeves of all time. And it's my peers who do this, seniors, kids, adults, doesn't matter but amazing to me how many say this. Have you ever heard someone say "Ugh! I'm just too busy!" or "I'm sooooo busy!" and BUSY is the reason they cannot do something?

When people use being "too busy" to do something, I call the Bullshit card! Let me tell you something. I am ALWAYS busy. There is never a time when you hear me use busy as a reason to not do something or reason I cannot do something. And I am always doing something. Now, many people tell me I do too much, or I overextend myself, but truth be told I know my limitations better than anyone and I do what I can and adjust accordingly. What HAS changed is maybe I have less attachment to the say things should happen and be more content that the end result can be the same if I adjust and not be hell bent on tactics.

But when I hear "Oh it's always something with us!" or "It never ends, we got so much to do!" or "I can't I'm just so busy with stuff" or "I'm too busy to do any of that right now" etc, it really pisses me off. People also come off as entitled beings of great importance to the world and it's just so trying! I'm not saying ALL of them but a lot.

When I was in high school, I took two Advanced Placement courses, three honors classes, Editor in Chief of the newspaper and top reporter, head photographer for the yearbook, President of the Interact Rotary Club, Student Council historian, sang in the full choir, was president of the Choir, and a member of the select choir the Choraleers, while also teaching and doing private lessons every single day at my teacher's martial arts school, while training at least 3 hours a day, studying doing homework, and also competed every chance I was able to get. By the way my priorities were still martial arts even then LOL.

Maybe it had to do with my martial arts training that I can task manage and time manage so well, but I can also teach that to people and I have. Today a t 116 years old (eh erhm), I STILL train 3 hours every single day, I teach ALL of my classes, I study intensely, I read material every day, I run my business, do my computer work, prints and phone calls, I also blog, I research and still do my interviews (even if you haven't seen them yet) which require homework and travel, I travel to train with seven mentors every month, I go to see Sifu to train almost every week, I run seminars and workshops monthly, and I travel to help my friends with their tournaments, while also doing private sessions for Qigong and Raindrop.....am I busy? Sure.

February alone, I traveled to Albany for two days for tournament, I had a Super Bowl Party and did a day of raindrops, hosted an in school tournament with three other schools in attendance, another day of raindrops, movie night for the kids, two days training with Mike Lee Kanarek in Pennsylvania, Qigong workshop, Blade Warrior seminar, two days of belt testing, made time to attend Master DeJesus's school FIGHT test, while STILL training, studying, working, and going to mentors. THIS weekend I go to Georgia, next weekend I conduct three days of Black Belt testing, a day of raindrops, the FOLLOWING weekend in Tennesee, workshops the next weekend, first weekend of April Maryland, plus Sifu and all my mentors!

Guess what? EVERYONE IS! But do I ever say I'm TOO busy to do anything? NEVER! And when I say I do something, do I do it? ALWAYS! Is there a time delay? Sometimes. But here is a little TRENTO TRIVIA. EVERY WEEK, I make the time to make phone calls to all three of my grandparents, my own parents, and friends of mine. I never lose touch, and I make the time to see people and keep in touch who mutually do the same with me.

What also AMAZES me is that there are people who say they're too busy to do things, but they make time for other things. LIKE going out to eat. Going to a hockey game. Going to the movies. Hanging out with friends. Truth is, is someone REALLY wanted to do something, they not only find a way, but they MAKE the time! Well IMAGINE THAT! At least I will admit that if I haven't done something, I'll just say "Obviously I really don't want to right now." IT's OKAY to admit that something is not important enough to do. But I really cannot stand people saying "I've just been too busy!"

Recently, a friend got angry with one of their other friends because they kept cancelling plans, saying "I've just been so busy," and she felt like it was saying she wasn't important enough to make time for. That's how it comes off to people as well. I remember feeling that way when people have done that to me! There is also the connotation of "busy" being wasteful time-spending. Ever hear the term "busy-work"? Stuff to just do but of no significance. TIME is an irreplaceable thing and people should really spend their TIME more meaningful before they can ever make that time back.

Truth be told, no one is going to behave or do the things that you may do. We have to accept it and that's fine. But at the same time, I think people should really think about what busy really is, and acknowledge if they really wanted to do something, they should put the effort in and notice where they do that already. People who miss out on time with people or time to doing things, but if they can do something they REALLY want, amazing how resourceful people become. I wonder how we could make a difference there? (BOWS)

Yours in service,
MASTER A TRENTO

No comments:

Post a Comment