Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Going Back to College





Last week, I began after a four year leave of absence, I have returned to college to finish my degree at Montclair State University. I had a lot of people nagging me, and busting my chops about HAVING to go back to school. I have a lot of opinions of my own about schooling. I even wrote a blog once on ability vs accreditation. But those aren't the reasons I didn't go back.

My priorities are a little different. Some may think they're messed up. I don't care. Think what you want. My original plan was to go to school, become a teacher. Save enough money to start my own martial arts school. Start my own martial arts school, then save money for a house. Well everything went hay-wire and the business started first. And quite honestly, that is what I wanted to do. That was my dream, that is my career choice, it is what I will do for life. Some still don't think so, think what you want.

So I am already teaching what I love to teach. But when I set a goal, I must do it. So even after my business opened, why didn't I go back? I'm stubborn. There were certain things I WANTED to do before going back. They were MY priorities. And family and friends all come up with their own reasons of what they thought were MY reasons for not being back yet etc etc etc. Because everyone has a PhD in Trento-thinking =/ .

Bottom line, I stuck to my word to myself and no one else. I did everything I said I would before going back. Some people thought I wouldn't. Some people thought I was making excuses. Some people thought I was BS-ing everyone. No. There were some political issues with my university too that had to be dealt with. Four years IS a long time and some dusting the nooks and crannies in the process had to be done. But I did it. Problem with OTHER people is that it's not in THEIR time. Well too bad. Let time take its course. I am the one who has to do it.

And thank God I didn't finish when I did. I would NOT have been happy with what I was going for. I would have been miserable and its money wasted. But I have a very good plan. But I am going back simply for this reason: I WANT TO. As long as it's a goal of mine it'll be done. Not a top priority. The "older generation" of people (mostly who never even went to college) feel it's the only way you can move forward in life and set a strong foundation for yourself.

I got news for you. Many of my old classmates who graduated with their degrees still have NO JOBS! And also, I may know at least a dozen adults with families with degrees and either have NO job or a job that has NOTHING to do with their degree. And the crazy thing is, I LOVE what I do already without my degree! I WILL get my degree and further my education. But there is a VERY good chance I may never use it. But it's a goal of mine and I will get it.

Sitting in a classroom at MSU again was great. I had a mixture of excitement and a little bit of "what the hell were you thinking??" in my head LOL. But I am happy to be there. One is a writing class required of me based on literature. I wasn't keen on it but I HAVE to take it. I have already made my presence known in the class hee hee. And Psychology is my major and that is the other class I am taking which I LOVE. Three nights a week after my teaching. So I am in love with the schedule.

I think of The Facts of Life episode where Edna Garrett goes back to college. She thinks she is crazy and too old to be doing it. But truly, you're never too old. And you can always learn. So if it's something you want to do, there are always opportunities to get your education for whatever your motivation for doing it is. Whether it's a career, money, or just to be educated! There are no right or wrong reasons!


Yours in service,
MASTER TRENTO

1 comment:

  1. this is why I love you. You listen to your heart and do things in your time. It's never to late.

    ReplyDelete