Thursday, January 10, 2013

Importance of Tradition


When I first met Sifu's father, Master Frank Yee, he spoke of the importance of tradition. He said tradition is important, but so is innovation. I am for the most part a very traditional person. My traditions are very important to me. When we are younger, we grow up with many many traditions that are passed down to us through our families, and as we get older we create our very own original traditions whether it be with family or friends.

Traditions, to me, are wonderful gifts. I do not believe myself to be a very materialistic things. Of course all people like THINGS, tangible "toys" and gadgets and gizmos. But even like this past holiday season, I'm not very big on receiving presents. My greatest present is PRESENCE! BEING with the people whom I love so much. And I of course hope that my own presence is present enough for the ones I share my time with.

My favorite holiday happens to be Christmas. And yes, like everyone else, it's for the gifts. But not the ones you wrap with wrapping paper and tie with a bow. It's the gift of being with PEOPLE! THAT is my favorite gift. That means more to me than anything in the world. I was lucky enough to grow up knowing my great grandparents and grea-great aunts. They were so much fun. And I was able to enjoy TRADITIONS with them that we continue to this day, and even though they are not around, I feel their PRESENCE! What a gift!

Christmas time I have MANY traditions! One of those traditions is the Alumni Sing. Saddle Brook High School always ends it's holiday concerts with Carol of the Bells, Do You Hear What I Hear?,  and The Hallelujah Chorus and all alumni in the audience is asked to come up to sing. I have not missed one since I graduated. My own family sometimes attends, being alumni themselves. It's something I look forward to every year, and sometimes I even feel that the one who started the tradition, Mr. Broadhurst, is even present with us, smiling ear to ear.
Me singing with the SBHS Alumni
Another holiday tradition I have is the red Christmas book. My Aunt Lisa began it in the 80s, where for twenty Christmases, she would have family sign the book, put pictures in it, write what was done, who attended etc. When she finished her twenty years worth of her book, we looked at it and it was one of the most wonderful things to review. We got to remember what babies were born within that time and view their first Christmases, who was still in high school, who got married that year, but what was even more heart whelming was seeing the handwriting of those relatives no longer with us. My Uncle Bobby who passed in 1991 wrote beautiful messages to the family, my great great aunts, my great grandparents, friends who joined and passed, it was a beautiful things to see.

And of course the MAJOR Christmas tradition that has been passed down for five generations in my mother's family is the traditional fish dinner. Started by my great-great grandmother, there are a series of recipes that we always make and have when we celebrate Christmas with my mother's family. Shrimp scampi, shrimp cocktail, scunguili, seasfood salad, muscles, stuffed clams, alege sauce over pasta, calamari, we go all out! We always prepare on the 23rd of December, make a HUGE tray of muscles for that night and for of course our Christmas gathering. And even if we give the recipes out, they somehow never make it like us. I think because the spirits of our relatives who cooked this before us are PRESENT!

I also traditionally spend new years eve with the Peracchio family, whom I love so much. My Aunt Chris and Uncle Frank, and Frankie and I laugh and laugh and laugh. We also eat, and eat, and eat. LOL! And evry Super Bowl I spend with Robert! We have never missed a Super Bowl in six years (which is coming up).
Jessie and Robert at my traditional Super Bowl party in 2010
Traditions are important to keep around because they keep us connected, they keep us alive, they are important to our being happy. Unfortunately, some traditions are put to a halt. Some even compromised. I used to taditionally celebrate a friend's birthday that we no longer do, or spend Halloween watching scary movies with someone that I no longer do, or sing White Christmas every year with a teacher until she retired. I get very very sad when traditions are not continued. Kristin used to go cutting down a Christmas tree with her parents but this year they bought a new fake one. "What? We don't have any traditions anymore!?"

Hold onto all your traditions. Keep traditions alive at all times. Traditions keep the gift alive of PRESENCE in people's lives. Today is never a given. Tomorrow is never insured. We make the best of today, enjoy today, and the people we have today. And when we are given the gifts of presence, we must not let them go by unappreciated or acknowledged. Many people spend more time complaining about things not happening the way they want, not getting the things they want, listing all the things wrong and the things people have done wrong to them, but when you step back, you realize either way, life goes on. Life goes on, there are opportunities to laugh and enjoy time, and enjoy your PRESENCE in life, and others.

Yours in service,
MASTER TRENTO

No comments:

Post a Comment