Wednesday, May 8, 2013

In Vs Into


Five years ago, I was in Professor Lisa Sargese's class at Montclair State University, I also met one of her friends and former students Darren Ventre. He would do occasional talks in her class that were very motivational and very enthusiastic. He and Lisa were learning to be motivational speakers at the time, and I was still apprenticing under my old master, doing motivational talks in my own martial arts classes at the time.

It was that same time I was taking my martial arts training to an entirely new level and was doing a lot of research, studying, and application in my training to psychology of self-image, self-esteem psychology, orginzational psychology, the law of attratation, building motivation, and developing habits etc.

So when Darren came into Lisa's class, I really enjoyed his insights and his creativity, because I was probably one of the few people in the class who really appreciated what he was doing and why, understanding his concepts, and totally relating to the material he was presenting. I don't think he really knew what it was that I did at the time, neither did Lisa come to think of it. But there were quite a few things that stuck to me.

One of those lessons was the concept of being "in" something vs being "into" something. They are two very different things. For example. I can be in school. But that doesn't mean I am INTO school. I can be in baseball. But that is different from being INTO baseball. I can be in martial arts. Or I can be INTO martial arts.

The concept of being INTO something is that you have enthusiasm and effort connected with your role or participation of whatever you belong to which maximizes your results and experience. Very similar to my last blog post of input equals output. What you put into your experience you're going to get out of it.

I was in college. But my level of enthusiasm and effort was very minimal. Was I wasn't INTO college. I once was in baseball. But I didn't care much for it, not paid attention enough to get any better because it was not imprtant enough to me. So I wasn't INTO it at all. My martial arts, however, everything I did was beyond the expectations required, I held high standards, I put extra time into it, making my schedule work catered to martial arts training, I was definitely INTO martial arts.

In high school I was a student journalism. I wasn't just in journalism class. I was INTO the journalism class. I was so serious with the research and publication, and layout of the paper, and my interviewing, I was known as the Barbara Walters of Saddle Brook High! I was INTO it.Not just in it.

So obviously you are in this life of yours. But are you INTO life?

This was a concept that really stuck with my over the last five years and I continued to teach to all of my students. Darren and Lisa will be doing a conjoined motivational talk at my center on Friday May 17 at 8:40pm! Part of the $10 series! Come and see these two in action and in person to be motivated like never before! Here are the details:


"The Life You're Not Living:
How to Create an Inspired Life Instead of Just Wishing for One"

We'll teach you how to be motivated, how to defeat negative thinking,
and how to do your best when it means the most!
with Prof Lisa Sargese and Coach Darren Ventre of 'All Out Athletes'

8:40pm
Friday May 17th
Trento's Martial Arts and Fitness
322 Rochelle Ave
Rochelle Park, NJ
(201) 203-0773

Yours in service,
MASTER TRENTO

1 comment:

  1. Darren and I are sitting at Stanhope House in Lake Hopatcong reading rhis and reminiscing about 2008. He's amazed at what you've accomplished!

    ReplyDelete