Friday, January 24, 2014

Mastov the Black Belt

Edward Mastov, Rockaway Fight Center's first Haganah Black Belt with Master Samuel DeJesus
I'm still catching up on a few blogs. But this is one I know I most definitely wanted to write. A couple years ago or so, I had the opportunity to see a Haganah belt test at Rockaway Fight Center facilitated by my personal mentor, Master Samuel DeJesus. When this past year he told me that he was going to be having his first student test for Black Belt in Haganah, I knew it was an occasion I couldn't miss.

I not only wanted to see it because of the occasion, but I also knew the person testing. His name is Edward Mastov. I have had the opportunity to work with Mastov in my own sessions with Master DeJesus, classes I took at the school, and seminars I have participated to learning the self-defense art of Haganah. Mastov is yet another great embodiment of what a Black Belt should be.

Nothing stops him. He faces each and every challenge presented to him. He pushes himself beyond his limits. And he also keeps a light heart, which in my book is such a key thing to have no matter how fierce a warrior you are. And this Haganah test is no joke.

The art itself is very militant, founded by Mike Lee Kanarak who I had the privilege of meeting in the summer. It is a very physically demanding test and why wouldn't it be? Ever hear of bootcamp? If you went to any type of military bootcamp is required, therefore you better prepare as if you were in bootcamp. Most outsiders seeing this test would find it very brutal, even barbaric. And I absolutely love it! Why? Well as in any martial arts there is a physical and mental side to thing. You are testing your physical limitations beyond ways you ever imagined, which is something you would want in any test. But also in martial arts it is the mental preparation that gets you through those physically challenging moments.

You are being beaten down mentally too, and if your mind and emotions are strong, your body will follow even when you want to give up. It's all about WILL. Your willpower develops more and more as you are challenged more and more. Besides an astronomical amount of conditioning exercises such as burpees, squats, leg lifts, push ups, sit ups, and more, Mastov had to demonstrate all his combative striking abilities, engagement drills while being pummeled on, he had to do several rounds of sparring, and demonstrate ALL of his Haganah material which would include open hand street scenarios, gun scenarios, knife defenses, knife on knife fighting, ground survival, and pistol training.

I was inspired to see Mastov go through this entire ordeal, and at the same time I also began fantastizing if I were ever to take this test. Part of me feels unsure of whether I could handle a test like this, and another part is very excited about the idea of taking a Haganah test. But here was a man achieving his Black Belt in Haganah! What a milestone! I'm unsure of whether Mastov ever thought he would make it to Black Belt, but can you imagine the multiple levels of this type of testing and material he had to go through and know before reaching this point? It is honorable and awe-inspiring. I know Master DeJesus was very proud of his student.

Mastov, I know it's been a while, but a well deserved congratulations to you sir on a fantastic job on your Black Belt test in Haganah. I hope one day to perhaps reach the same level one day in my future. You are an inspiration to all your fellow students and made every at Rockaway Fight Center and us extended family very proud! You represented your master so well, and everything a Black Belt of any martial art is all about. Well done, sir, well done.  (BOWS)

Yours in service,
MASTER A TRENTO

No comments:

Post a Comment