Thursday, January 23, 2014

Olegna's Birthday

Olegna Fuschi and her son Anthony Aibel
I've been meaning to write this blog for a long while now. One of the most gracious and spirited souls I have ever come to know is my very own cousin Olegna Fuschi. Olegna is actually the first cousin of my grandfather on the Trento side. Some may ask, how do you say her name? Like this: Oh-lay-nyah! The story goes my great-great uncle always wanted to have a boy and name him Angelo. When he finally had a child of his own, it was a girl and so he named her Angelo backwards. Hence the name Olegna was born! At least that's the story I have heard.

Olegna is a world renowned pianist. She has played countless of concerts, worked with other renowned musicians, I saw a picture of her and one of my favorite composers Robert Shaw together, and her son Anthony has worked with him as well. She has also even taught at Julliard for a period of time. Growing up, I would see Olegna at a few family gatherings and holiday parties. But after our first Trento Family Reunion in 2004, we got to see a lot more of Olegna. And we are all the more blessed for it.

Olegna is very sharp. She is very dignified. Olegna has a lot of class. But she is also a great deal of fun. She knows how to laugh and have a good time. Her spirit is strong and full of energy. It is always a wonderful time when you are with Olegna. She has a fantastic sense of humor, a plethora of knowledge, wonderful insight, and a beautiful laugh. Olegna is an important part of our family and we are all privileged to be in her company.

This past summer, we all got together at her son's house is Connecticut for her 80th birthday. We were not just celebrating her birthday, we were celebrating Olegna. The beautiful person she is and the wonderful presence she has in our lives. OUr cousins from New Hampshire came down, we from New Jersey drove up, and we had a wonderful day together. Toward the end of the evening, her son Anthony got us all together in a room with a large television and he played two videos of Olegna playing the piano. It brought tears to our eyes.

Music is supposed to make your feel something, and the musician is a vessel to direct that emotion in such a way, it touches your soul. Olegna, being a master musician, does just that. God blessed her with such a talent, and I hope you look at the video below of her playing, that brings tears to my eyes everytime I watch it myself.

Olegna, it was a pleasure being with you on your 80th birthday, and it is an even greater honor to have you in our lives. Your spirit and love exudes to all of us in the family. I love you so very much Nonna Olegna, and I look forward, along with the rest of the family, the many beautiful years ahead we get to share with each other. =D (BOWS)

Yours in service,
MASTER A TRENTO  



1 comment:

  1. Olegna's Birthday looks amazing. This video is also way too good. My grandma is also turning 90 in next week and I want to do something special for her as she has done so much for us for her entire life. Having a thought on throwing a “reunion” themed party at the local event space Atlanta and will invite her old friends to reunite after a long time.

    ReplyDelete