Thursday, March 27, 2014

I Dreamed A Dream...

Turn speakers up and watch this video.
“When you are living your dreams it doesn’t feel like work, but it’s important to take some time away for yourself. It’s goot to make some time for your own company.”
-Jared Leto

I remember watching this for the first time in 2009. I was living alone in my first apartment. My Aunt Karen emailed this video to me saying "This is proof that there is a God!" I was intrigued. I didn't know what to expect. So I watched it. It was an audition for the British version of America's Got Talent, Britain's Got Talent. Okay, so I guess it's going to be a really great audition or funny audition of some sort.

No. It was more. But I didn't know it. This quirky woman wanted to sing and become a successful singer. You was 48 years old at the time, and you can tell she was socially awkward. She didn't know how to joke, she didn't know how to be appropriate in a way, she tried too hard sometimes. But when she got on point, she was on point.

Everyone in the audience judged her. The camera got people's reactions, smirking, rolling their eyes, and making faces. You also saw the judges doing the same thing, laughing in her face, at one point Simon Cowell turned and breathed "oh boy." To a point, an outsider might have even felt embarrassed for her. But it didn't phase her. She stood her ground, and told the judges she wanted to be as successful as the British Broadway singer Elaine Paige, and was going to sing I Dreamed A Dream from the classic "Les Miserables".

The music began and then Susan Boyle opened her mouth. The rest was history. It was a stunning, amazing, absolutely pleasantly surprising performance. Her voice was strong, powerful, in control, and gave goosebumps. I love when the underdog overturns the odds. Susan Boyle became an overnight celebrity from that performance and was the favorite and began to live her dream.

I cried when I first saw it and I remember showing the video to EVERYONE. I remember showing it to Robert, Frankie, Andrew, and Jessie. And I cried each time I showed it, and I remember Andrew turning to me saying "Why are you crying?" like I was crazy. But truth is, it was more than a stunning performance. She was a victim of being judged at first sight, and an audience of people who thought she could not do something, and she proved them all wrong.

People are too judgmental, they label too quickly, and shame on anyone to ever tell others they cannot do something. And who are we to tell someone else that someone cannot do something, no matter how insane the goal is, how weird the methods may be. No one has that right. It is wrong.

I watched the Susan Boyle video during the time I was living on my own in my own apartment, trying to begin my own business. The "idea" of opening my own school was a trying one, and there were many naysayers. I remember one person very clearly telling me that I "would never do it." It hurt me so much. But it didn't matter what she believed, it mattered what I believed. I knew I would do it, I didn't know how, I just knew I WOULD. I dreamed a dream that was too big to be squashed by the opinions and thoughts of others.

I cannot say that I am as strong as I used to be then, but I have and always will be a dreamer. But I make my dreams come true. I don't give myself enough credit when they come into fruition, and I need to make more time to be grateful and acknowledge the blessings, before I dive into the next dream. So to all the dreamers out there: continue to dream a dream.

“Approval isn’t necessary. It’s nice when you get it, but it’s not going to stop us from being who we are. I mean, if I’d have listened to approval, I’d never have made it one day onstage. But to be criticized, if there’s validity, as upset are you are, you can learn from it.”
-Jared Leto

Yours in service,
MASTER A TRENTO

No comments:

Post a Comment