Friday, August 10, 2012

My First Lesson With Sifu

"As you wake to a new day, choose to be like a beautiful flower.
Open up to the rain, for it will nourish you.
Rise to the sun for it makes you so much more.
Become quiet and peaceful as nighttime falls.
Allow yourself time to reflect, for tomorrow will come soon enough.
Your beauty will surely grow with each passing day.
I see your beauty.
Can you?
Will you?"
-Sifu Pedro Cepero Yee

Hung Ga Kung Fu uses the principles of the five elements and five animals of traditional Shaolin philosophy. It is a system that provides mental and spiritual growth along with your physical growth through internal and external training. The history of this martial art can go as far back as the Ching Dynasty in thr 1720s-1730s. Growing up and training in the martial arts, I always felt the kung fu was THE art of arts. The traditions, the history, the spirit of it all was so real, so "magical", and the essence of this martial art changes you. It's something I've wanted to do all my life. Well that time has finally arrived.

Friday I had my very first lesson with Master Pedro Yee (Sifu). I was beyond excited, and a little nervous too. I walked into the school and Sifu gave me my uniform. He told me he would be presenting me with a lot of information which would be important for my understanding during the training, and to let him know if anything became overwhelming and if my mind were overloaded with too much.

We warmed up with Qigong. Each position was held for one minute. This set of movements were to open the "Seven Golden Passages", which would open the different Yang and Yin meridians in the body, depending on the pose. I felt the Qi charge up in my body at the different points, whether it be in my arms or my legs. Sifu went on explaining the flow of Qi, what we were physically accomplishing, what to expect later on, and I even got a little history lesson on how these poses were formed.

I began to learn the three earthly branch stances and we did drills using these stances. I was amazed at the amount of knowledge Sifu has with the mechanics and the techniques, and the understanding behind every movement. I know I need to train hard to have that same understanding as he in order to truly embrace the essence of Hung Ga. I need to feel it all out, and allow spirit to guide me to this understanding.

It's very different from Taekwondo. The breathing, the mechanics, the kias. Actually there aren't kias, but depending on where the strike goes, a different syllabus is used and a different range from within your body is released. I believe that's when you're body is truly in alignment with the spirit. When I stopped thinking about making the proper sound and breath, it found its way to the surface.

You can feel the tradition and spirit in the room as we continued with the lesson. The more Sifu got into the lesson, the more I got more into the lesson. The louder Sifu got, the louder and more intense I became. I loved every minute of it. I also began learning the first and oldest form of Hung Ga called Gong Ji Fuk Fu Kuen, subduing the tiger in character "I" pattern. The first half is Gong Ji Kuen by itself. The second half Fuk Fu Kuen was added later. From what I remember it was in the 1730s during the rebellion when they felt they needed to better prepare by practicing breathing and control along with power and speed. My understanding will continue to improve.

I used to think I was blown away when I worked with my old master. I thought working with Master Balon blew me away. But after training with Sifu, I now know what being blown away is. My legs were shaking violently, partly from the drills, and I am sure partly from the massive qi flowing through the lesson. I was in awe. I don't think I ever got so much out of a lesson before as I did on this day with Sifu. I am absolutely amazed and so grateful. I am blessed to start right, fresh from the beginning.

I am so ready to see where my training will lead me. Sifu is a master's master, and I trust him one hundred percent. I am so lucky to have him as a master and am grateful for the opportunity to train under someone of his caliber. I hope I don't disappoint, and I hope I can reach my full potential in the highest degree, as long as I keep to my course.

Yours in service,
MASTER TRENTO

No comments:

Post a Comment