Tuesday, June 11, 2013

A Lesson and I Didn't Even Know it!

Kyle with my student William at 2012 AAU Nationals
I have always said, we are all beacons of light for one another. We may pave the way for others to follow, we may spark inspiration or find opportunities for each other, and sometimes it's a simple lesson that has great value that we learn from one another. However, most of the times we don't even realize when we do it for someone else!

Last week I had my lesson with my mentor, Master Kevin Balon. One of Master Balon's student's names is Kyle. Kyle is a cute little kid with an awesome attitude. Last year he won a gold medal in the same division as my student William (who is also going back to nationals this coming July). He did a fantastic Toi Gye last year.

I did not realize when I left Master Balon's school last week that Kyle was nearby and saw me. Later on that day I got a Facebook message from Kyle's mother. She told me that during dinner, Kyle told her that he was so impressed that I was training with Master Balon for the nationals. He said to his mother "I guess even as a Master there is something you can always work and improve on." She then thanked me for giving him that lesson, even if I didn't know I did! And I didn't!

That Kyle is a sharp kid! Yes Kyle, even as a Master, I am always looking for ways to improve and have the best of the best, like Master Balon, who helps me reach my goals. And I am so pleased I was able to share that lesson to Kyle, even if I had no intention of doing so! But sometimes, without even knowing it, we teach others by just doing what we do.

I think Kyle will go very far, as will my student William. I think it will be very interesting seeing these two gentlemen grow up and contribute their experiences to the martial arts world in their own way. That what us masters want for our students! (BOWS)

Yours in service,
MASTER TRENTO

1 comment:

  1. When you are a Master and people look up to you your never know what they see or hear. ALWAYS your are their role model and light.Kyle obviously looks up to you and was watching voraciously everything about you. You are shaping his values and attitudes about TaeKwando and life. Even when you didn`t know.....He did as do so many more young people.

    A great tribute....an awesome responsibility.

    You should be proud of your entire essence.

    ReplyDelete