Saturday, June 22, 2013

My First Kung Fu Test

My first Hung Ga Kung Fu test. Me with Grandmaster (Sigung) Frank Yee and my master, Master (Sifu) Pedro Cepero Yee at Yee's Hung Ga Academy.
Today was a magnificent day. I have been studying martial arts for fifteen years. Tomorrow will be an entire year since I tested for 4th Dan Black Belt in Taekwondo. I have been studying almost a year with my new master, Sifu Pedro Cepero Yee in Hung Ga Kung Fu. I've been wanting to study Kung Fu since I was a little kid. But I promised myself it would be a privilege I needed to earn because in my mind, Kung Fu was an art so precious and sacred, I needed to put my time in before I felt I met the standards of studying this sacred art.

I was "masterless" for four years. I knew I wanted whoever my new master would be NOT be in Taekwondo but allow it to be in Kung Fu. My standards were extremely high and expectations which some would have thought to may even be unreasonable. Until I found someone who fit the title to the tee! I met Sifu two years ago and I knew that day I had found my new master. And anyone who knows me well knows that I don't do anything in a haste or make quick BIG decisions. So for me to say to Sifu that very day I would be training there was a big deal.

But I would not allow myself to train under Sifu until I reached my 4th Degree Master Degree in Taekwondo. I knew Sifu was the best of the best who studied under THE BEST as well, Sigung Yee Chi Wai (Frank Yee). However I didn't even know at the time that Sifu doesn't take on just anybody as a student and does not teach beginners. He taught only advance, Black Belts, and masters to pass down the conceptual knowledge of this sacred art. So for one year as I waited and trained for my goal, he watched me. He even guest judged at my Master pretest at my school last year.

August 2012 I began my training with Sifu and I was a beginner once again, for the first time in fourteen years. But I was being trained as a 4th Dan Black Belt and I wanted to meet Sifu's standards and expectations. He challenged me, he pushed me, and he continued to make me a better martial artist in every way one can grow. Besides drills and new style that was a COMPLETE challenge to me, I began to learn the first form in Hung Ga Kung Fu called Gung Gi Fook Fu Kuen (I've seen it spelt four different ways). The forms is I believe somewhere around 187 techniques. The first form in Taekwondo is 19 LOL. I consider my training with Sifu to be like graduate level martial arts training. Because it indeed is in my opinion that kind of level of martial arts and has enhanced even my Taekwondo skills, even as a master's understanding.

Besides memorizing it, I learned the principles and application. This being the oldest form in Hung Ga teaches breathing, coordination, the 5 elements, 5 animals, strengthening, stance work, everything you can possibly imagine! It is a fantastic beginning form that embraces all the foundation you need to build on in the art. The form is also taught into two parts separating two levels of beginner.

After almost a year of training and practicing it was time to take my first test. I tested both Gung Gi and Fook Fu, the entire beginner level. I was extremely nervous, particularly for the general knowledge portion where the judges ask you questions. I was doubting my ability to explain and understand, but I can be my worst enemy. It was also the first Kung Fu test I have not only taken but ever witnessed! I had nothing to compare to and it was totally out of my comfort zone!I was actually more nervous than I thought I would be.

Grandmaster Frank Yee flew in from China for the test. other branches of the association came together at Sifu's school to test. One school from New York drove 5 hours to come to the testing! And it almost seems top secret at first because the doors are shut while the instructors have their workshop first during he day. Everyone says outside and here are really no spectators. About 20 masters and seniors were judging and five rings were set up fr the testing to be done.

I first bow to the shrine of the ancestors, then to Sifu and Sigung, and walk up to the judges. I introduce myself, say which branch I am from, who my master is, recite the lineage, and then explain the form I would do. They give me permission to do the form, and then I begin. After the form, two judges come up to ask me questions such as the three most important hand techniques, the three important stances, and application of movements from the form. Unlike Taekwondo where we look for what you can do, these judges were looking to see what we know. Did we have Hung Ga inside of us!

I had to do that procedure twice. One time for each form. Then we sat in our horse stance for 5 minutes while senior instructors tested out strength and will power. We then did a technique sparring match to show we could use our Kung Fu in sparring. At the end of the test, some seniors spoke, my Sifu spoke, and Frank Yee himself said a few words.

I was very happy with how I did, and I enjoyed the experience so much. But it meant a great deal to me. I wanted to represent my Sifu well, I wanted to meet my expectations, and it was the first test I have taken ever. It was a very big month for me with Sifu. First my Qigong test and now my Kung Fu test. The experience was also insightful and inspiring to me because I got to see where I wanted to be one day as well, seeing the disciples judging before me.

Part of me still cannot believe I am a part of this world. And I am studying under the best of the best of the best of the best. It is an honor to train in Hung Ga and a greater honor to train under Sifu. We get our results within the next week or so. I look forward to receiving my results. I want to thank John O'Brien and Patty Barron for their help and support, and mentor Professor Lisa Sargese for introducing me to this road for me to take and for support. And of course, my deepest thanks to Sifu for his phenomenal training and guidance. I hope to be at the caliber you are one day!

My next blog will be about Sigung Frank Yee's seminar that I attended after the test! Once again an amazing experience! (BOWS)
Me and Sifu at my first test!
Yours in service,
MASTER TRENTO

No comments:

Post a Comment