Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Three Years of TMAFC


Fifteen years ago I had a dream. I knew that one day I would own my own martial arts studio and it wouldn't be JUST a martial arts studio. It would be a center for one gigantic family that would share transforming experiences and learn the great lessons life has to offer through a profound discipline. It would always be a safe haven for all its members, and a magical place all were welcome to come to.

When life through it's own challenges my way, I made a decision that it was time to make that dream become a reality. It the help and support of loving family members and close friends and their families, I began a journey to open the doors to this magical place, that only took form in clear pictures inside my own mind. Those were exciting times to share with those people, but it wasn't always easy. With any great venture comes a lot of resistance, naysayers, and Debbie downers.

But lo and behold, on June 5, 2010, I opened the doors to Trento's Martial Arts and Fitness Center in Rochelle Park, NJ. It was a fantastic day. Family members of mine were there, all my students, alumni students who I haven't seen for years came out of the woodwork to view my doors open, and the Friars were there as well. Not everyone knew each other, but they all had one grand thing in common: the belief in me as a martial artist, my dream, and what I stood for.

It is now three years later since I opened those doors. There were, in fact, many people who thought I could not do it, and that it would not last. But here we are today. Stronger and tighter than ever. And I am so blessed. I am so lucky. To have the students that I have, to have the families that I have, to have the friends that I have, to have the mentors that I have, to have the master that I have. It's all magic to me.

Yesterday we celebrated TMAFC's 3rd Year anniversary with a big party. The fitness members did a cardio class, and my fitness mentor was in attendance to the class (it was also her birthday! what a way to celebrate your birthday!). At 12:00pm we had a combined martial arts class which was fun, followed by pizza and games for the kids, we had wings, and macaroni salad and other foods. Then every year I make a yearbook that shows all the things TMAFC has done over the years from events, tests, black belt tests, teams, competitions, etc. And we had a nice big cake along with an assortment of other desserts before playing more games and signing each others yearbooks and enjoying each others company.

Professor Lisa Sargese was of course in attendance taking pictures, Friar Julie Feliciano was there with her brother from the U.S Navy, Airmen Michael Feliciano, long time dear friend Jessie Peralta, my own parents were there, and of course several students and their parents. We had such a beautiful time together.

TMAFC is not just a place where we learn  martial arts. It's a place where a group of people have come together in experiencing the magic of life. We use martial arts as a tool to have these lessons and experiences, and build a deeper family sense that will be with all who come through its doors. I want to thank all my students and their families for their love and support for this school and for contributing to the magic is holds. I especially want to thank my mentors and my master, Sifu Yee, for all their help and encouragement in my growth as a martial arts master.Thank you to my leadership team and my Black Belts for all their time and help they give in support of the school, especially to Mr. Andrew Kranich, Miss Samantha Frey, and Miss Samantha Volk.

And special thanks to Mary Giordano and Elizabeth Disanno for the help and support at the school, and for bringing macaroni salad and taking care of the drinks for the party. A special thank you to Dr. Mary Ellen Steihl not only for bringing the wonderful assortment of desserts but for helping with the AAU coaching as well at last year's nationals and our upcoming nationals this year! Thanks to Ara Grigoryan for the wings we all fought over that were absolutely delicious! Thank you to Lori Marini and Aunt Karen for the crumb cake!

May the fourth year of TMAFC be the most magical and successful of them all! As we continue to shine the light of our own candles, we continue to light the way for others. We are all beacons of light for one another, and the light we all share comes with great passion and joy. Thank you all! Thank you, thank you, thank you! (BOWS)
Yours in service,
MASTER A TRENTO

1 comment: