Tuesday, February 25, 2014

The Flower Lady


Last year in May, an older woman walked in during the Trento's Angels' Black Belt test. She had a basket of beautifully wooden carved flowers painted and scented as roses. She was selling them for Mother's Day. She came in early one day, and many people walk in to sell things sometimes. But when I saw her, she had a warmth in her smile that was contagious. I asked her to return to the school when I knew there were a lot of people, hoping she could get a little business.

So she left and she did return, but before pitching her flowers, I was still in the middle of the Black Belt test and she sat down as a spectator. I remember afterwards coming over to her and her response to the test was unbelievable. She was in awe at what she saw these three girls doing, and she was so happy for them as if she knew them all her life. Black Belt tests can have that effect on you here. She said she would never forget that part of the test she witnessed. I was so happy it had such a positive impact on her, just by watching. It also made me feel good as a master instructor that someone could recognize what I was doing with my students and saw how proud I was of my girls.

Nine months later, I am working on my computer on a Saturday and I hear my door open. I go to see who it is and I see the flower lady has returned with her big basket. I greeted her with a big hello, recognizing her immediately. She greeted me with that same warm smile, but she commented on my smile. "I love how I am greeted with such a loving smile as if I am an old friend!" I told her "You are an old friend!" She laughed and sat down and we talked.

She is a very spiritual lady, and she couldn't believe how much I remembered about her from our brief encounters nine months earlier. We talked about my students, keeping busy, using our minds, spirituality, and how her faith in God helped her survive cancer. I shared with her my own story of dealing with health issues, and people I know who have done amazing things with their health. But a lot of it stems to gratitude and laughter. Thats what this woman was filled with.

After a long time talking, I invited her back to come sell her roses during Mother's Day week again. I told her my doors are always open to her, as they are to everyone. She looked at me and said "This is a very safe place here. It feels good to be here." That meant more to me than anything else. I am happy that this woman felt that safe energy of the sanctuary my school gives. She gave me her blessings and told me to continue the work I am supposed to do. And I will. (BOWS)

Yours in service,
MASTER A TRENTO

1 comment: