Friday, July 18, 2014

Aaron Coaching

Masters Aaron and Leeann Morris
This is Master Aaron Morris and his wife Master Leeann Morris, I call her MMM or "triple M" (Miss Master Morris-LOL). A couple years ago, there was a tournament coming up in Pennsylvania, and my mentor Master Balon was letting the New Jersey clubs know about it. Well! If Master Balon says it's good to go to, it's good to go to! SO I spoke to Master Morris on the phone introducing myself and told him I would love to go to his tournament, and that me and two other people from my school would be officiating at his tournament and would help him in any way we could.

So I first formally met Master Morris at Master Balon's New Jersey AAU State tournament in April 2013. He greeted me with a big warm smile and a one arm hug. I liked him immediately. So the next time we would meet was at his tournament that following month. I was still new at officiating but the New Jersey officials were very helpful with Olympic sparring division. We were so happy to help.

I kept in touch with Master Morris here and there on Facebook and the occasional phone calls. Sometimes we would see each other at the other AAU tournaments and nationals. This past year I went back to his tournament to officiate and chose his tournament to be my first competition to ever try Point Sparring which I am proud to have won Gold. I wish I got the nice Pennsylvania medal though!

I have had many coaches over the years of competition in Taekwondo. Of course I began competing right after I got my Black Belt, never color belt. For six years my original master was the only person I had in the seat. After a four year hiatus from competition, I returned to rebuild that experience, get back in the game, challenge myself as an adult since I didn't have the transition, and  to show my kids I was on the journey with them. My student and friend Robert Lisciandrello began learning to coach and would coach me.

My friend Master Crespo sat in for me once, Master Toledo once sat in for me, I even had Miss Sue coach me for my Point Sparring match! But at nationals I had no coach prepared, which was fine because I didn't have one last year and there have been just as many competitions I had been coachless as  have actually had a coach. But this year at nationals, for Olympic sparring, when Master Morris knew I didn't have a coach, he volunteered his time to come and coach me.

Master Morris knew that I have had a rough year. He also knew that I continued to push myself, probably even when I shouldn't have. But that just wouldn't have been me. But I never had a coach like Master Morris. Of course as we are sitting waiting for my division to go up, I do what I always do and here I am doing a small pre-interview with Master Morris (He'll one day get the full scale Barbara Walters one from me LOL). I enjoyed hearing about his competition experience, as we exchange the names of the people we knew from competing over the years and our own past experiences.

But I learned a lot not only as a competitor but as a coach as well. Master Morris is calm yet direct, have an excellent eye, and was able to put nerves into perspective and confidence in his directions. I was nervous, but he made me feel at ease. I watched him coach other people as well and observed him closely. He has an excellent coaching style, and I saw something else that was very clear to me. He was sparring to. He was IN the ring. Not literally, but he was channeling himself through his competitors from the chair as if he were sparring. I don't know if anyone can understand that, but I saw it as clear as day.

And honestly, that's what a good coach does. They don't just bark orders and directions. They guide, they point out opportunities, but it's in an energetic way that they are also doing the competition through you as well. And you can actually feel that. I felt very comfortable on those mats again. And another thing, I heard every thing he said. This may not seem like much, but I have always had a hard time hearing my coaches in the past. But I heard everything clearly and it's not that he has a booming voice or anything like that. He was screaming his commands. But I believe he had a great ability to connect and something about that allowed me to hear everything he said. Take it as you will, that's what I believe.

I believe Master Morris is now the Mid-Atlantic District Director for the AAU Taekwondo Program. And no wonder. I am very happy to have met Master Morris, but even happier to call him friend, as well as triple "M" (Miss Master Morris). They are good, kind people and I enjoy my time with them every time I see them. I want to personally thank Master Morris for taking the time out of his day to come coach me, as well as Mr. Austin from Rockaway Fight Center, and for his friendship =) . (BOWS)

Yours in service,
MASTER A TRENTO

No comments:

Post a Comment