Thursday, July 10, 2014

The Boat




ON the last day of the tournament, that Saturday night there was a dinner cruise for the officials of the AAU Taekwondo National tournament. I did not know about this until our first meeting that week. I remember thinking “Oh that’s nice.” Then as the week went on and I began making such wonderful friends from all over, I got even more excited about it!

For most of them, they were not nearly as excited as I was because they’ve done it so many times. But even if I did it as many times as them, I’d pretty much be just as excited because to spend a night dedicated to just being together was a thrill in itself! Earlier in the year I did a similar dinner cruise with friends and it was highly enjoyable.

I joined everyone in one of the hotel suites where like 20 or more people were already hanging out! It was wonderful spending time with them all again! Master Scott Fiorillo, the Maryland District Director, whom I have great respect for was there, along with Master Hasan, Master Stone and Stacey Stone, my friend Kelley and her daughter, The Hoopers, the Waufords, and so many others!

The Southeast were trying to get me to move down there and made fun of my “apparent” New York like accent LOL. My eyes a few times filled up with tears, and I hope no one noticed, but I knew that our time together was coming to a close soon. This was the last hoorah, and I really didn’t want it to end. I’m never like that, but for the first time I did not want to return. I was enjoying myself so much I could just bust. For the record, I didn’t LOL.

We walked over together to the dock where we got on this beautiful three tiered boat. Immediately I got a few drinks with my new friend Jeff Jenkins and his wife where we got to talking about some old times of him refereeing and situations he’s been in. He is a very honest man and very upfront. He says he is a required taste for other people and that he’s “calmed down” a bit over the years.

I really did enjoy Jeff’s company. I knew exactly what I was getting with him, and I respected his stand on his views and opinions. He also was good humored and we got along very well all week. I enjoyed working with him and he taught me a lot over the week as an official and I am very grateful.

I got to hang out with my friend from New York, Nina Beauchaine, who centered at my very first AAU tournament and would “grow up” with in the AAU competition plane. She’s my buddy and pal and we danced and laughed and took pictures together! It was so nice to spend that time with her and I finally met her husband after all these years! Of course I danced with my Georgia, Texas, and Tennessee friends! We had a ball together!

For dinner I sat with Master Hasan, Master Fiorillo, the Stones, and with Master David Leider and his wife Christy, and our friend Wendy from Georgia. I enjoyed very much their company and the laughs and good convos that came with it. Before I knew it, Jeff Jenkins was dragging me upstairs to dance with his wife and the dancing continued.

I couldn’t believe it when the boat had returned to the dock. Where did the time go?! I couldn’t believe it was over!! I also didn’t time it myself quite right because I certainly wasn’t ready to go home yet either, but we spent a couple hours later together until it was time for me to get going. They really looked out for me. Thanks to Bobby, Stacey, Wendy, and Joe for that!


I had the most magnificent time. I want to thank all of the officials I worked with, that I met along the way, and all the new friendships I made. I am forever grateful for the experience. I really couldn't get enough of everyone, I don't think I can wait until next year. I will have to find excuses to make a bunch of trips to visit them all, and they can't be soon enough! (BOWS)

Yours in service,
MASTER A TRENTO

No comments:

Post a Comment