Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Officially Official with the Officials

 

Last week I went to Florida for the AAU National Taekwondo Championships. This would be my first trip that I have ever taken alone, first flight alone, first time officiating at the national tournament, and first time renting a car. I had mixed feelings about going. I was nervous for all the "firsts". I practically grew up on an airplane because my mother is a travel agent and we always traveled, but I always had a companion. Money made me very anxious. And I was also afraid of some bitterness, being reminded of my horrible ending of last year's Florida trip that had consequences that lasted me up to twelve months. In short: I wasn't sure how excited I really was to be going at all.

But I had to make it a positive one. I was hoping the getting away would help me recharge my batteries, clear my head, maybe work on my book, maybe read a book, and I wanted to enjoy my own participation in the tournament as a competitor and official. I wanted to do a good job across the board. Since I've been feeling better as of recent, working hard was a no brainer.

Other than some frustrations with the car rental, the trip itself was good. I forgot my flashdrive so I couldn't write so I read my Barbara Walters memoir. First day I did absolutely nothing and stayed in at my condo. It was actually quite pleasant. Not many people can stand doing things alone. Although I am certainly not a loner, I can definitely appreciate the solitude of being alone and being productive and enjoying my time alone. I've done it quite a bit over the years and it's no different to me. One day of solitude was good. The next day I had to drive to Ft. Lauderdale for a few meetings.

I drove each day about 45 min to an hour to and from for the tournament. I introduced myself to the head referee in charge, Master Chuong Pham. I wanted to make sure he knew who I was and thanked him for the opportunity to officiate this week. He told me that this year I was the only official from New Jersey. I told him confidently, I was trained well in New Jersey and would represent well. It was that night I had my visit with Franco and Mary.
I was to officiate three days of the competition. All three days were Olympic style Taekwondo sparring. I was in a ring with a young three young ladies. One was Kelley from Georgia. She was a proud mother and very experienced official who was as friendly as could be and made me feel very comfortable. Sheriana was from Florida and it was her first time officiating nationals as well and you could tell she wanted to do a really good job. And then there was another girl named Vic who was fantastic at what she did.

But over the course of those three days I got along very friendly with a man named Jeff Jenkins. He was an International Referee with a lot of experience. But what I liked about him the most was that he was real. He was what he was and if you didn't like it, too bad. I always respect people like Jeff. Says it how he sees it, stands by what he believes and makes sure he's heard, but also light-hearted with a little off-color, yet friendly humor. We hit it off right away, but I also learned a lot by watching him officiate, and he really pushed the envelope with me while officiating as well. As much of a good time he was, he was also a very fair official and I respect him for that. Apparently he is known for causing riffled feathers, but in my experience it's the ones who don't cause enough riffles that don't make enough of a difference. More on Jeff later.

The TA, the head of our ring I know very well. Master Joe Hasan, the Adirondack District Director who hosts the tournament in Troy, NY. HE mentored me throughout the three days and gave me a lot of opportunity to gain experience and I felt that he really believed in me. That gave me reassurance and made me very happy and confident in what I was doing. I do hope that I came through for him, as well as the rest of my team.

I met a great group of people from Georgia including Master Bobby Stone's wife, Stacey. She was full of good energy, always had a smile on her face, and so warm when she greeted you. She has a good heart and looked out for me while I was in Florida, knowing for the majority of the beginning of my trip I was solo. I have known Master Stone for a couple years now and he is as funny and witty as he is an excellent official. He has centered for me many times and did my upgrade when I ranked to a class "C" Official with the AAU. It's always a good time when you are in the presence of Bobby Stone. There was also Wendy, who I got along with right from the start. The Georgia crowd got my vote.

I enjoyed the company of the Tennessee martial artists including Debra Hooper and her children. Her son, Jacob worked with me a bit too during the week and we had a great time. Her daughter Payton recently got married I think. They were already setting up an itinerary for me for a visit. I think the Georgia crowd were battling with Tennessee and Texas to where I would come visit first. I loved it! They had me laughing the entire time. But when we worked, we worked. And we worked so well. I have not officiated a national tournament before but from what most people said, it was easily run and smoothly gone.

The bottom line was I utterly enjoyed myself. The only downfall to this experience was that my personal mentor, Master Balon, could not be in attendance this year due to a scheduled surgery he had on his foot that was causing him a great deal of pain. He was the one who got me started in all of this and it would have been such a treat to experience this with him. But I hope I made him proud of represented New Jersey for all it's worth.

I have a few more blogs to write about this group of people. But the real delight was that it has been such a long time that I had that much fun and for the first time I did not want to leave and go home. I really felt like I belonged where I was. Working side by side with these martial arts masters from across the nation, many whom I have known about and watched for years, was an absolute privilege. But an even greater honor to share the time I had with them. And they welcomed me with open arms. I sit here with tears in my eyes because of the gratitude I have in my heart for the experience they gave me. But more it to be said about my time with them all, next time.

Yours in service,
MASTER A TRENTO
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment