Wednesday, February 17, 2016

You Can Make a Difference


I have always told my students that you may not always make a difference in the world, but you be sure as hell to make sure you are HEARD!

When I believe in something strongly, or I believe something is wrong and needs to be made right, I fight down to the skin of my teeth! Ask anyone who knows me well. Some will say to the point of being obnoxious. And that's fine. I don't care. Because what annoys me so much is when a majority of people bitch and moan behind closed doors and NEVER say anything when it really counts.

I believe there is strength in numbers. Sometimes actions speak louder than words, but if you ACT make sure you are also HEARD! I stand up mostly for other people than my own self sometimes, I don't know why. I don't believe I am self-sacrificing but maybe I can be a little bit, guess I have to reflect a little more on that. But what I do NOT respect is when people keep their mouths SHUT!

Sometimes you need to OPEN YOUR MOUTHS and sometimes you can't be afraid of what "could be" the repercussions. And at the same time, like I said, there is great strength in numbers sometimes. Especially people in power. I believe too many people allow others, especially of authority, to bully and to dictate to the point where the actual integrity of the person is being compromised.

If I have said it once, I have said it a thousand times, EVERYTHING is based on principles. If I am doing a form in Taekwondo, if I go against a principle, it will technically be incorrect. If I am sparring and I go against my principles, I will lose. If I go against my principles in fighting, I won't survive. If I go against my principles of life, life will be followed by chaos. Most unnecessarily in MOO (My Own Opinion #Wiz).

I have taught and counseled in self-esteem work for several several years. A big factor in whether self-esteem is high or not is executing the pillar of self-esteem called personal integrity. If we go against our principles and values, it erodes from your own self-esteem. Self-esteem is the root of every problem we have in life. And its lack of self-esteem that holds people back from SPEAKING UP! I don't care who you are, you can always learn this concept, re-learn, and practice is it over and over and over again.

Little over a year ago there was an event I attended and something was not going to happen and I felt it was wrong to do. MANY others, possibly the majority of the people I was with felt the same. The entire day I kept busting chops, making comments, providing logistics, etc, again to the point of being beyond annoying and obnoxious, right to the very end until the event was about to begin. I did NOT make a difference, but I sure as hell made sure I was heard. OF course after the fact many people came up to me and said they were happy I opened my mouth, but the DIFFERENCE could have been made if they ALL opened their mouths.

Sometimes we can make a difference without even knowing it. Here is a little story I love to tell:

"Once upon a time a young boy was standing on the ocean throwing starfish into the ocean. A man walked by and asked 'What are you doing?!' The young boy said 'I'm throwing starfish back into the ocean!' and the man said 'Yes, but why?! What's the point?!' The young boy said 'Well the tide washed up all the starfish onto the beach and they need water to survive, so I need to throw them up so they can stay alive.' The man who was walking by said 'That's the dumbest thing I ever heard! First off that's nature'sway of weening out the weak, and you're interfering! And besides, there are hundreds of starfish on this beach! You can't possibly save them all! What difference is it going to make?' The boy stood there for a second, picked up a starfish and threw it as far as he could into the ocean, then he turned to the man and said "Made a difference for that one!'"

Sometimes the difference isn't on a grand scale, but the small wins do add up more in the long run, whether you realize it or not. Mike Lee Kanarek once told me he would rather play a big role in a small thing then a small role in a big thing, because he'll make a greater difference. I always remembered that. But I ask you all, you CAN make a difference. Make sure you are heard!! Because YOU HAVE A VOICE!

Yours in service,
MASTER A TRENTO

No comments:

Post a Comment