Thursday, February 25, 2016

Asking for Support


I've been writing this blog for over a year. Why haven't I finished it? Why haven't I just published what I had and built on it? Why didn't I just put it out there? Because something was missing from it. Something didn't feel right to me because I won't teach something until I fully understand it. That's anywhere. Every year for the last few years, the year presents itself with a major theme! I believe spirit keeps throwing the lessons in your face until you notice it and learn it! For most people they are blind of them and take a lifetime to learn something. I don't want to be that person (anymore).

In the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad year of 2014, Sifu had said to me "Young master, my own wish for you is to learn to Just Be." DO you know how often I kept hearing that phrase? Just be. JUST BE. JUST BE!!! It kept coming up! And that year we happened to have a theme song too when Disney's Frozen overplayed the song Let It Go by Idena Menzel, LOL! But I had a whole BBQ for that very reason, the Just Be BBQ, intended to be a one time thing with the all-star cast of the Trento-verse.

Truth be told, I not only learned that lesson, but continue to practice the art of Just Being. It makes life more enjoyable, you remain clearer in the mind, and more relaxed in the body. Life falls into place better. And when challenges arise, you handle yourself with such mastery, and life begins to work for you. And yet I, and everyone else who has learned the lesson from me too, finds not to stress out as much, and life does truly move on and we can still take the time to just be and laugh and enjoy life, and NOTHING in the now can make a difference other than our own selves just BEING and enjoying this beautiful life. Without US there is NOTHING! (think about that one)

So that brings up last year. It kept coming up over and over and over and over in places I couldn't even believe! My student Thomas actually planted the seed when he would use the term. He would discuss a choice or a habit or an action and use the word "support" and it stuck out like a sore thumb. "That's not how that word is used!" I would think first, and then did a double take and ask myself "Is it?" Support comes in several several layers which is why I explored it, experienced it, and applied it.

Unfortunately, many of us are raised in a way where we are taught NOT to ask for support. That is complete and utter BULL. I had to reconfigure myself to this notion. It was HARD to accept support, whether it be emotional, financial, mental, etc. It was even HARDER asking for support. No one ever asks for the things they really need. Now there is a loophole between truly needing support, and being NEEDY! Support in MOO (My Opinion Only) is that a specific need is met outside of our own self.

This past year I have accepted support financially in a very difficult time very early on it brought me to tears. I have also given that support to others, remembering it being done to me. I have gone to events to support people whether it be a birthday party, a baseball game, a school play, a ukulele concert, or a tournament. I have given support by just being physically present, and if I just needed someone to be around me sitting not talking or doing something, I asked for the support and I received it and it felt good.

I've gone to support people and asked others to help bring support for those that I love. In Tennessee, one of the things that blew my mind was I NEVER spoke about this topic (at that time) with Grandmaster Kathy Wieczerza. The second day I was there she did a seminar on Breaking. Here's the catch: it had nothing to do with breaking, per se, but the emotionality that could help dealing with SUPPORT. I was blown away, I don't know if she noticed. I was blown away by her teaching it but I was MORE blown away that THAT was the subject matter at the core. People face and look at a board to break in martial arts, and the mental trash comes up that it's hard and fear of pain etc. But we are stronger than our perceived "problems" and the people holding, our SUPPIRT, is a lot stronger than the problem. They help us and hold our problem in place so we can break it. One person hit someone's fingers accidentally. "That's okay!" Said Master Wiz. "Sometimes in life we hurt the ones who support us, but they won't abandon you. They go right back to holding for you once they shake it off." THE SYMBOLISM!

Then a month later when Stacey came to visit New Jersey we went to Pennsylvania for a day and did a seminar with Mike Lee Kanarek. He began the seminar philosophically and discussed his theory on "The Table". One of the legs of your table for your life is SUPPORT! He went on the longest on this topic, for 20 minutes. MIKE LEE KANAREK talking about SUPPORT! God knows he has always provided a family atmosphere not only at his school but within his organization where it truly is a tribe of brothers coming together who belong! That is part of the human condition, we want to belong in a tribe. And without that feeling of support we cannot function in our lives.

Everywhere we look we can find an opportunity to show support, to offer support, to receive support, to ask for support, and to be supported. SO there is a sub-theme, like in the first year.In order to JUST BE you had to Let it Go. SO in order to SUPPORT in whatever fashion, there must be the gift of LOYALTY. What a gift! Loyalty is not respect. It goes much further and deeper. I have had people in my life, I still have have people in my life, who love me dearly. Are all of them loyal? NO. Does that make them bad people? Not at all. However, there is a large group of people, some very new in last couple of years, who are some of the most loyal people I have ever had in my entire life.

I have traveled too and far and I have seen some of the greatest masters in the world. IN the year of support I have been to the Grandmasters Society and seen Grandmaster Kang and the Kukmukwan people who have been with the Kangs for SO many years and their love for their master is untouchable, such a LOYAL group. I went to the Haganah Conference where 70-80 of Mike Lee Kanarek's Instructors and Black Belts came together, and the love for this man was undeniable, they would kill and die for this man. My students, my friends, my mentors who are currently in my life are truly the most loyal I have EVER had. It was new to experience. They really do have my back, and would follow me to the end of time, they believe in me, and I love every single one of them from the bottom of my heart. The Second Iteration of the Just Be BBQ was held last MAY, and they were there.

You may find in life people who like you. Some will respect you. Some will love you. Some will work for you. Some will work with you. Some with be friends. Some will be friendly. And then there is the WHOLE entire other group that out classes all of them, your LOYAL crew. Thank you to my most LOYAL support system who has kept life so exciting and wonderful, in good times, and better times! To quote Jimmy Stewart from It's a Wonderful Life, "No man is a failure who has friends," and I AM DOUBLY blessed to call each and one of you my FAMILY!

Yours in service,
MASTER A TRENTO

No comments:

Post a Comment