Thursday, December 15, 2011

The Alumni Sing

Me singing with the alumni at the SBHS Holiday Concert tonight
I loved high school. And I always go back for any reason I can think of. Yes, I am weird to the "normal" student of high school. Most people run away from it, even if they do miss it a little. But I always return to visit my teachers and principals and for school events. I really loved my old schools. And as most know me, traditions are very important in my life. They bring continuity and great emotion to my life.

My entire family went to Saddle Brook High School, as I did, and I even had MANY teachers my parents and aunts and uncles had. My grandfather even worked with many, and my grandmother went to school with a few. These teachers became family to us. But the most special to my family was Mr. Broadhurst. He was the former choral director of the school and began a tradition at all the Christmas concerts. The last three songs were always Carol of the Bells, Do You Hear What I Hear?, and the Hallelujah Chorus. And he would invite any alumni in the audience to come up and sing.

My mother and aunts and uncles always did. The current director, and one of my favorite teachers, Cindy Verost, continues this tradition when she took the post after he retired. When I was in the choir, I always looked forward to singing with my family and friends who would come back that graduated. After I graduated, I continue to go. It means a lot to me. It's one of the few things I look forward to doing every year, and every time I do, I know it is Christmas time. And it brings me great joy, almost tears to my eyes. I do love it that much.

Some people may find it silly, but it is almost like a spiritual experience for me. Mrs. Verost is a phenomenal teacher. I always would pretend to be madly in love with her and annoy the hell out of her during high school (and after I graduated =P) but she truly had an impact on me as well. A lot of my own teaching style and mannerisms come from her, and she really knew her stuff. She is sharp, educated, and knows how to relate and create great rapport with her students, while still maintaining professionalism and control, which in return she gets a great deal of respect.

I always admire how she never tried to be Mr. Broadhurst. Although she learned a great deal from him I am sure, she was herself and that's what kept the magic alive in that school. It is always a privilege to sing under her direction. This is my fifth concert as an alumnus to sing with her, and it never gets old. HOWEVER, one BIG boo boo all the alumni complained about-- she did Carol of the Bells earlier in the concert and left it out for the alumni. She won't make that mistake again next year >=/ .

I went through a lot this year, and I almost didn't go to this concert. So it was an even bigger deal for me to go. I didn't allow negative experiences this year take away from me doing the things that make me happy. This concert being one of them. It was fun to joke around with Mrs.Verost and have her snub me and act all rude toward me for the giggles. She does a fantastic job with the choral program and I hope she continues to do so for a few more years to come. I know she is thinking retirement in near future, I just hope not TOO NEAR of the future.

So yes, I will be there again next year. As long as I am an alumnus and the alumni gather as they do every year, I will continue to do the SBHS Alumni Sing! And I know Mr. Broadhurst is looking down frmo the angel's choir, smiling and being so proud! Well done Mrs. Verost! (BOWS)

Me singing with the SBHS alumni

Cindy Verost directing the alumni sing of the 2011 Holiday Concert at SBHS

Yours in service,
ANDREW TRENTO

1 comment: