Wednesday, August 6, 2014

The Return of Mike Lee

Me and Haganah founder Mike Lee Kanarek
Has it been a whole year already since I first met the founder of the Haganah system, Mike Lee Kanarek? It is not everyday you get to work with the founder of a martial art. Imagine working with Bruce Lee who founded Jeet Kune Do? Imagine training under General Choi after he published the Taekwondo encyclopedia? Imagine working with the Gracie brothers who founded Gracie Brazilian Jui-Jitsu? So when an opportunity such as this comes up, you're sure as hell going to know I'm going to be there!

I first witnessed Haganah from my mentor Master Samuel DeJesus in 2009. I began learning it from him under his mentorship in 2012 training for my master test. It was that same year I witnessed a couple of Haganah tests and in 2013 got to see Ed Mastov of Rockaway Fight Center receive his Black Belt in Hanagah. A year ago I was privileged to go to Master DeJesus's school for an advanced tactical knife seminar to work with the founder himself, Mike Lee.

He is known to be rough around the edges with not much of a censorship. If I were to ask why he would probably answer "Because I don't give a f*ck." LOL! I love how direct he is, he's very real to who he is, he is fair, he is loud, and he is brilliant. The tactics and philosophy that you can read in between the lines of his system are so advanced and so well rounded, I can't begin to tell you. I really didn't know what he was going to go over in this seminar, I just knew he'd be in town and I was there!

For the first time ever, I experienced Muy Thai. It was never something I wanted to do or learn, nor did it intrigue me, but my interest was definitely sparked after this seminar! I loved the mix and drills of upper body strikes and lower leg kicks. I loved the progression of the drills, the adding on, building upon the principles, the use of repetition in different ways that made time go so fast, and the correct use of stress to help condition the muscle memory. In other words: it is always a pleasure to see a master at work, let alone a master educator do his work.

I was also happy that this year I was not alone! My student and friend, Thomas Cubby, who only began his martial art training with me this year, always jumps on the opportunity of great value when it presents itself. He is highly enthusiastic and eager to learn. As a teacher, it is also thrilling to have a student who works as hard as he. It was great to share this experience with him. Mike Lee of course busted our chops throughout the seminar, but we could take it.

Last year he called me "Trenton! The intellectual." It was more like "Trenton the intell-E-ctual!" This year my nickname was "pretty boy"! LOL! And Thomas, who did a Spartan race this year was wearing the shirt from the race. He was the "Spartan without a spear". Thomas, if Mike Lee is insulting you, your're in good standing! LOL!

We then did advance knife scenarios which was a lot of fun, and very intriguing to learn. The entire seminar was five hour long. We had a fantastic time and also learned so much. Thanks to my mentor Master DeJesus for having all of us at his school, and to Thomas Cubby for experiencing this with me!

If you want to experience Mike Lee, he is having another seminar in Hackettstown, NJ on Sept 14 on Muy Thai. If you're interested you can call Evolutionary Martial Arts at 908-850-6009. (BOWS)
My mentor Master DeJesus and I at the end of the Mike Lee seminar. 
Yours in service,
MASTER A TRENTO


No comments:

Post a Comment