Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Specialization: When is it Important, and when is it Not.

Simo, Sifu, and I (Don't I look Chinese?!)
A few weeks ago, Sifu and Simo came over for a little bit. A small group of us got together for dinner and to spend time with each other. Sifu has been working a great deal on a major project with Sigung (Not sure if I'm supposed to give any details on it yet) but they have been working very hard. I was also working on several projects myself, so it was nice for all of us to take a break on work and JUST BE and relax.

It was a beautiful night of eating, relaxing, enjoying each others' company, answering questions about Qigong, making it rain on and off with Qi, hearing two versions of how Simo and Sifu met between the two (which I wish I filmed as it was cute, entertaining, sweet, and hilarious), and just enjoying the moment of BEING.

But of course, when the master is present, I will always pick his brain for knowledge and insight. He made a comment a few days prior to seeing him about specialization. I am two years into my master training, and it has always been very important to me to be a very well rounded martial artist. My roots were very well rounded, thanks to my first master. I have great training in traditional Taekwondo forms, great training in Olympic style sport-Taekwondo, great training in self-defense, great training in fitness, great training in psychology and law of attraction, and great training in Qigong. I also train in Haganah, Songahm Taekwondo, and Hung Ga Kung Fu.

Over the years I have continued to build and master each "field" so to speak in my training. But there gets a point where specialty is important to choose and truly envelope one's abilities and expertise to grow as a master and a human being. After all, each of my mentors is the best in their field, even if they have experience in the other fields. Charlene is the best fitness trainer. Mary Ellen is the greatest psychoanalyst around. No one comes close to Master Balon in traditional Taekwondo. Master Bardatsos is the best in the area for sport Taekwondo. Master Canzoneiri is fantastic in his Qigong. Mr. Valentino is superb in Songahm style of Taekwondo. And Master DeJesus is an elite expert in self-defense.

Even Sifu himself, it's not only me but most who meet him can see he is the best at what he does. He specialty in Hung Ga Kung Fu cannot be challenged. His true understanding and continuous building upon this art inside and out, along with the help with Sigung's guidance I am sure. I believe Sifu is the only person handed down the secrets of the art in it's entirety by Grandmaster Frank Yee.

I heavily train in many fields, but in my training I am certainly not spread out too far. Can't say the same for general life things LOL, but my training I love having well rounded aspects. But I do believe in my continuing master training, I will have to decide in a specialization to enhance my growth even further.

Even founders of an art like Mike Lee Kanarek, founder of Haganah. He knows his entire system inside and out and it has come from years of experience. But he will be the first to tell you his passion is Muy Thai and his specialty in his system is knife fighting. He actually has other people within his own system who will certify people in other aspects of his system because he feels they're better than him at it and it is their specialty. That's not to say he cannot do it or know it to an elite level. But his specialty is in knife fighting and his passion lies in Muy Thai.

So in personal growth, specialty is significant. HOWEVER, it is bad for business! Specialization is good for a well rounded business for multiple streams of income. I could have a wellness center that offers aromatherapy, hypnosis, Qigong, and Reiki. But My specialty may be aromatherapy. I may know the others, but you'll get the best from me in aromatherapy and the best from someone else with their specialty, such as Qigong.

So Specialization has it's place and others it's not important. So have a well thriving practice of any sort, you want to be well rounded. It is also important to have a good experience in being as jack of all trades. I find that a compliment. For how can you teach or know or understand without being experiential? Without having that understanding and knowledge? But to be the best at something, you take you specialty and allow it to enhance you in ways you could never have foreseen before. Especially in the higher ranks of martial arts. I guess that will be my mission eventually. (BOWS)

Yours in service,
MASTER A TRENTO

No comments:

Post a Comment