Saturday, September 27, 2014

Shane Dawson's Movie


In 2008, life made some huge changes for me. I was living on my own, I got fired from my job, I was working on creating my own business, and I had an entourage of friends who would come over every Sunday for dinner that are really no longer around anymore. It was a very good time but a very stressful time. Life was rough which made it stressful, but times were good and happy. When I found myself stressed and not able to sleep really late at night I would surf YouTube.

This was something Frankie would do. Look at random videos and he would show me them here and there. One time he showed me a video of this kid pretending his name was Fred with a high pitched voice. So one night it led me to looking around and I found a video of this kid pretending to be Fred with his high pitched voice and by the end of the video he was dressed up in as thie ghetto character Shanaynay and I remember busting out laughing. I watched another video called DMV with him and his character Shanaynay and whenever I need a laugh, I watch it.

Shane Dawson is one year older than me. He began making YouTube videos and wanted to become an actor. He would have what some may call a little raunchy humor, but very creative. In the essence of Joan Rivers, he said whatever it was everyone else was thinking which made it funny, but he also had the no limitations like Don Rickles, with sometimes the mouth of Richard Pryer and Robbin Williams.

Now most people who know me would be shocked that I find his humor hilarious because I can get offended easily. But he is so funny. It's funny! That's the bottom line. There's no harm in what he does or say you can tell it's all about getting a laugh, and he earns it! His videos began to become more and more professional, and we would love seeing his new skits on Ask Shane, or Shane and Friends with all of his characters he created, interactive videos, he went into spoof music videos, he also did original songs with music videos and sold on iTunes, but we also got to know him as a person with another channel he made to vlogging.

Hanging with Shane I remember seeing him move from home to home, he lived in several apartments, to all the animals added to his home, to when he was fired from working at Jenny Craig, to his grandmother dying, to him being able to take his family to Disney World, to winning a Kids Choice Award, to his emotional thank you to for his one million subscribers, to his T shirts being sold in Hot Topic, to his night adventures with his brother or friends, to his great tributes to his mother who he adores. Over the years we got to really know Shane as a person.

I began my business in 2009, and opened in 2010, and a couple of students reminded me of him. During a depressing time, I went back and watched every single one of his videos to date. He got me to get away from the troubles, gave me time to forget about what was going on in life, and above all he made me laugh. Laughter, as I've blogged about countless of times, is a gift to all people. My favorite is Lucy, but I've always loved Carol, Betty , Hope, Burns, and Williams. But here was someone I watched work so hard to making his dreams come true, while I was working hard to making mine.

A couple of years ago he came to New York to open a premier for a friend's movie coming out. I blogged about how much he meant to me during difficult times, as he has to so many people. I knew I really wanted to meet him. SO when I heard he was going to the AMC in New York, I KNEW iI was going to take my chance and I always showed my students that no matter how big or small your dreams are, you gotta go and make it happen, just as Shane himself was striving to do. So I made the trip and I got to meet Shane Dawson.

That was mission number one. Mission number two was a harder one. I didn't want to just meet Shane Dawson, but I wanted him to do a video at my school. My students would really get to see, no matter what, you can make what seems impossible possible. But I have been watching Shane through our parallel journeys for six years, almost seven, that I would really actually love to be his real life friend. Not a cyber viewer friend like everyone else. I have big goals, for big things. And I know Shane is going to make it big one day. Actually, I know besides acting he really wants to direct. I would love for my story to be directed by him.

For almost a year, Shane worked on his very first movie. It's in the top ratings of iTunes and was playing in theatres all over. He was returning to New York to plug his movie. I had to see him again. I know I am another nobody, he had a bazillion fans telling him how much he meant to them, how much he made them smile and laugh, how great they think he was, etc. But truth is, I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I've watched him since the beginning. And I was so very proud of him for making this movie and getting out there and DOING it. I wanted to get to tell him that.

And I did. I was last on line to see him, just like last time we met. I walked up to him and gave him a great big bug and told him where I came from, and told him how long I watched him, like everyone else, but I looked at him dead in his eyes and said "Shane I am so proud of you. You did it. You're making it happen, and I know you're going to be bigger than now one day." I think anyone can see that, but I also know when you're in the midst of it all, it's hard to see and believe and hearing it is important. I hope he knew how sincere I was.

Prior to viewing the movie and seeing all his fans, he made an apology video for offending some viewers who were attacking him and accusing him of being racist. Shane, I know you're reading this and I want you to know, no apologies! You're not out to hurt people, and truth is, these people aren't really offended. They are committed to just wanting to put you down. It's like here, there are Yankee fans and anti-Yankee fans, just because. I remember when Joan Rivers was being roasted and one of the comedians made a joke that made the audience go "OOOooooooo!!!" and Joan turned to them and waved her hadn in disgust calling out "OH shut up! It's FUNNY!!" Same goes for you Shane. You're gonna get bigger and it's only going to get worse, and you're doing nothing intentional to harm people. It's funny, like all the other greats. They need to get over it. No apologies needed.

I continue to watch Shane Dawson for good laughs quite often. Some people may not appreciate his humor. But many do. He has always made me laugh when I didn't want to laugh and anyone who can do that has a gift. I haven't completed my second mission with Shane yet, but it's still on the table. But I do believe in this kid, and I know he'll be great and I can saw I knew him when. I'd love to really know him too. But over the years, I think I have. I really am so proud of him. Shane, congratulations on your movie. Enjoy the success, and let the ones who are committed to not liking you just miss out. You're making your dreams come true. That's more than any of them can say. (BOWS)

Yours in service,
MASTER A TRENTO

No comments:

Post a Comment