Thursday, November 13, 2014

A 60 Year Friendship

Aunt Karen and my mom with Grandma Cyn and her BFF Aunt Ruth, and Aunt Ruth's daughter Camille. 
One of the things I treasure the most and have as a very high priority is friendship. Friendship embodies so many things. Enjoyment of one's company, enjoyment of similar interests, laughter, trust, reliability, tolerance, confidence, encouragement, and unconditional love, NO conditions whatsoever. Friendship is a strong value that has run in my family.

My Aunt Karen has had her best friend, Iris, who is practically part of the family for over thirty years. My mother has a three best friends she's had for thirty plus years. My father and my cousin Stephen are best friends but have had two other people they've been best friends with for over thirty plus years. My Grandma Yolanda and my Aunt Marilyn have been best friends since they were I think twelve years old. I have had close friendships for almost 20 years that mean the world to me and I love, a few now gone.

Even the teachers I grew up with were such best of friends. Some of my favorite teachers like Dottie Filipek, Donna TenHoeve, and Helen Hymanson or Chuck Broadhurst and Jack Impomeni, or Paul Bachman and Robert Kaplan, were legendary friendships to us from Saddle Brook High.

But I think the greatest demonstration of one of the truest friendships I have ever known is between my Grandma Cyn and Aunt Ruth. These best friends have kept their friendship strong and true for 60 years!!!! Marriages don't even last that long these days. My Grandma Cyn met Aunt Ruth 60 years ago at work. Aunt Ruth came in for a job interview or something, and Grandma Cyn was the one who welcomed her in at the front desk. Very similar to Aunt Karen and Iris. The rest was an amazing history.

Grandma Cyn was Jewish and back in those days when she married Grandpa Fred, the Catholic Church wouldn't even let her stand on the alter to get married. When Aunt Ruth was having a baby, she wanted so much for my Grandma Cyn to be thegodmother of her child. But the church at that time would not allow it because she was Jewish. So Aunt Ruth in honor of her best friend then named her daughter after my grandmother, Cynthia. That has meant the world to Grandma Cyn.

Grandma Cyn always says she and Aunt Ruth are sisters! They were very much a part of each other's lives and love each other so much. As time went on, it was harder to travel and visit each other, so one point last year my father, mother, and Aunt Karen took Grandma Cyn to go visit Aunt Ruth (pictured above) and they had the most wonderful visit! Lots of laughs and good times.

Recently, my Aunt Karen and my father were contacted by Aunt Ruth's children that she was not well and in the hospital. Her condition was worsening and they really thought that there was a chance they would lose Aunt Ruth and to prepare my grandmother. They left a phone number to reach them and Aunt Ruth in the hospital room because she could take phone calls. Aunt Karen and my father had went over to talk to my grandmother and immediately they could see the fear in Grandma's face. She wanted to call Aunt Ruth right away.

I spoke to Grandma Cyn and she told me she wouldn't know what she would have done. She couldn't imagine life without Aunt Ruth. She wanted to call her right there and then so my father dialed the number. Ring-ring-ring and then someone picked up. "Hello?" It was Aunt Ruth. My father said "Hello? Aunt Ruth?" which Aunt Karen immediately called out "GIVE THE PHONE TO MOMMY!!!"

And Grandma Cyn got to speak to Aunt Ruth for about five minutes on the phone. Grandma Cyn was so happy to hear Aunt Ruth's voice and Aunt Ruth was thrilled to have spoken to Grandma Cyn. Aunt Ruth had to have a surgery which her children and doctors were afraid she wouldn't be able to handle. Everyone began to pray intensely for Aunt Ruth.

I don't know if it was the next day or the following, but Aunt Ruth's daughter called my Aunt Karen and told her that Aunt Ruth was like a brand new person after speaking to Grandma Cyn. The surgery went successfully, she was up and feeling strong and great, and she said that Grandma Cyn was just the medicine she needed.

I don't know about you, but I believe that was EXACTLY the case quite literally. Their loving friendship was EXACTLY the medicine Aunt Ruth needed. A 60 year friendship with such tremendous unconditional love is the kind of thing that keeps you alive. These two women are a great model of true friendship. Aunt Ruth is doing well and in the process of recovery.

True friendship like Aunt Ruth and Grandma Cyn is a blessed gift that should never be taken lightly. When you have a friendship like that you hold onto it tightly and remember the love that bonds together that is strong and pure. Remember, unconditional! No conditions! No strings attached! Pure love and admiration! My Grandpa Fred used to say, you only need one good friend in life. Grandma Cyn and Aunt Ruth have been best friends for 60 years, and it is a blessing I know they both thank God for, every day. (BOWS)

Yours in service,
MASTER A TRENTO


No comments:

Post a Comment