Thursday, November 20, 2014

Black Belt Test in NY


Last month I was invited to sit on the judging panel for a Black Belt test up near Albany, NY for our acting regional director Master Joe Hasan. Every year I have brought my students to Master Hasan's tournament in Troy, NY as it is our first AAU tournament of the season. Master Hasan was also my TA when I officiated my first national tournament for the AAU. We had a great time at nationals. Master Hasan is also the student of our current AAU Taekwondo president, Master Mike Friello.

When I was younger, many of the local masters would come to judge other school's Black Belt tests. Then over time you saw less and less of that. When I opened my own school five years ago, I began introducing new people at my own testings. I would invite alumni I taught to other martial art masters and school owners to my own testings and it opened up a great community camaraderie amongst us as martial artists and school owners. There is no ego and everyone provides a great amount of experience and lessons to offer, and it makes a great experience for the students.

I've been to many of my mentors schools, and I've been to different discipline testings and different organizations. I've seen and participated in Kung Fu testing. I've seen and participated in Haganah testing. I've been to traditional Taekwondo testings and Olympic style Taekwondo testings, and ATA Songahm Taekwondo testings and each one has something different to it. And we have all collaborated together as well and shared ideas.

I was very excited and honored when Master Hasan invited me to his school's testing. For many years Master Hasan was teaching out of a YMCA and has recently opened his own center. He was only open for one month when this test took place, so it was the first official Black Belt test the new location was hosting. I was honored to be present for the occasion. Two other senior Black Belts were on the panel and President of AAU Taekwondo Master Friello was there as well.

There were over twenty students testing. Some mid term testing, some pretesting, and a few ranking. Master Hasan facilitated the test as we on the panel judged. I love being introduced to new styles of testing as well as new faces testing and seeing what they can do and what they have to offer in their performance. All the students did a great job. There was good focus, good discipline, and good technique.

I train in several styles of Taekwondo forms, and they were doing my favorite style of ITF tuls, which I teach to my students. It's amazing how you can go to so many different places and see the same forms done in a different style, or even similar for that matter. The students did excellent with their forms. And of course seeing sparring and breaking is also great to see how other schools run their testing.

Master Hasan does a fantastic job with his students, and I know Master Friello is equally proud of his student carrying on the Taekwondo tradition. Congratulations to the new ranks and a job well done by all students! (BOWS)

Your sin service,
MASTER A TRENTO

No comments:

Post a Comment