Monday, February 13, 2012

Simple Sparring

"It's about action, not thought. Simplicity, my friend. It goes a long way. Simple in action, simple in thought. Don't over think."
-Steven Lin
Last week I was at Kix Martial Arts and the entire workout was sparring. Master Bardatsos wanted me to focus on relaxation during my sparring. Without the relaxation, nothing else will fall into place for me. So, that has been my focus and as I've focused on being more relaxed in sparring, I have been practicing new techniques and strategies that I've been learning. I can see where they work, where they don't, when I should throw a kick, when I shouldn't, and I see where if I were more relaxed how much more effective I could be, etc.

I am hoping to really break this cycle because every time I make the progress, I fall backwards because I didn't not keep to my course of action. I know that this will not happen again this time because I have made that conscious commitment. Four years ago I would go to Queens to spar at Master Bardatsos's school once a month and even with that I saw great improvement. I can watch old sparring videos and see wow, I was really making progress. But then life gets in the way, the old master had thoughts of his own, and then I got sick, then opened my own school, training solo, and then you're back to square one. 

I think I will have a better time keeping up my progress this time. However, I still get frustrated on the inside. I am fighting not the other person but I am fighting within myself. That is what happens when you over think. You end up thinking and thinking and thinking until you end up doing nothing. I sparred Steven Lin a couple of times and he got a few nice shots, one fast kick to my jaw actually which was great. He tries to kick light but ouch! 

I talked to him a little bit the next morning and he says he can see I am getting a little more relaxed. I wish I could see it. But the obvious thing is balancing the relaxation with aggression. That's what makes me tire out. I question my endurance sometimes. But just because I can do 30 minutes of jump rope and an hour of kickboxing does not mean my energy is synchronized to keep me from getting tired in a 4 minute match. Then what do I do? I think about it. I think, which takes time. Time takes energy. Energy is used but not directed where it is needed. Result: kick in the jaw. 

Then Steven gave me some awesome advice about simplicity. I have always taught that you do not need to be fancy shmancy to win in sparring. I have always stuck with the philosophies of basics. Black Belts win sparring with the white belt roundhouse kick. But now, to take that to a new level, not necessarily basic, but simple actions. It doesn't have to be difficult to do. It's just what works. But I have to act! Can't think and plan. So I have to program my body to do what works when it is supposed to be done, without thinking. Simple in action, simple in thought. 

Oh how I can blow this quote out of proportion in so many ways on so many deeper levels of life! But I won't right now (maybe another time =P) but it boils down to re-learning this Olympic style of Taekwondo sparring. Master DeGeorge also gave me a few drills to work on my flexibility of my hamstrings. He says my hip flexibility is great, after doing a few drills, and I would be really good in Brazilian Jui-Jitsu. Master DeJesus said the same thing to me -___- lol. But flexibility is a simple, yet very effective first step. Mission: get my leg to touch the wall behind my head. Less than two feet away right now, so the challenge is accepted.
Master Bardatsos thinks I can catch on fast and will make good progress and I won't question him. My over thinking in sparring and lack of relaxation will not last forever. I felt really good sparring and winning the Silver medal last weekend at the Adirondack Championships. It's not USAT (USA Taekwondo, Olympic chapter) but I would like to do well at the AAU Nationals. I don't feel I am ready for USAT again, YET. Although, Master Bardatsos continues to ask me whether or not I'll be going to these international tournaments like the US Open or the Canada Open, or the USAT NJ States. I don't know if it's because he thinks I can do it or he thinks I just need the experience. 

It's only my first year back and first time in years since I have taken sparring seriously. I'll see how it goes this year. I have my goals already set for next year, but I gotta keep my eyes on the real goal right now: five months until the 4th Degree test! How should a master be sparring? That's the key right now. I told Master Bardatsos I will be competing at the AAU Nationals this year in Ft Lauderdale, Florida. He looked at me with a twinkle in his eye and said confidently "We'll get you ready for it." That's all I needed to know. So what can I ask from myself? Spar simply!

Yours in service,
ANDREW TRENTO

No comments:

Post a Comment