Sunday, February 26, 2012

ATA Martial Arts Testing

This past weekend, I had the honor of guest judging at ATA Martial Arts where my friend George Valentino was facilitating one of his first Black Belt tests. I have judged over 30 Black Belts tests in my martial arts careers, and have seen many Black Belt tests from different schools, but never have I judged at another school before. This was an exciting experience for me, and I was also excited for George and his partner, Mr. Delano.

There were about 25 students testing of all ages. There were adult color belts testing, a large number of midterm level testing, and a group testing for Black Belts and 2nd Degree Black Belt. George introduced each of the judges and gave me a wonderful introduction. Little background: George and I went to school together, I have known him in since first grade when we took the bus to school. We always knew that we each trained in martial arts, I ran my master's school, he ran his master's school, later on I knew he opened a school, he knew I opened a school, but we never worked together in martial arts.

When I had Kristin Barrett's Black Belt test for 2nd Degree in September, I did not want my own Black Belts judging her test. I wanted to surprise her with former instructors and I also wanted outside instructors. George was one of the first people I thought of. He not only came to judge but performed with two of his students. It was wonderful to have that outside support and energy. And I was thrilled to have George see our kind of testing.

So I walked into ATA Martial Arts and the two girls who performed at Kristin's test recognized me right away and gave me such a warm greeting! You can feel the awesome energy that was in the room. The Qi was clear and flowing. I met the other judges who could not have been any nicer and welcoming to me. They made me feel at home and comfortable. One of them was George's younger sister, Victoria, who is a 4th Degree Black Belt. I have known her since she was a little kindergartner.



The test started out with a few adult color belt testers. They performed their form, their break, and either did a weapon form or sparring. The mid-term testers for the Black Belts did a very similar outline. All the students have phenomenal discipline and are highly respectful, which is attributed to both Mr. Delano and Mr. Valentino. It is a sign of great teaching. There were a few students who made little mistakes, nothing big, but you could see in their eyes that they were upset with themselves, or the frustrated expression that says "Oh My GOD!"

None of the other judges were saying anything, and I was kind of timid to say anything. But Mr. Valentino did say before the test to us that he invited any, if not all, the judges to feel free to ask the students to do a physical challenge or ask them any questions or make any comments you would like. So finally I decided to raise my hand a little bit and Mr. Valentino acknowledged my hand and I asked if I could speak. He nodded and absolutely to me, and I said "This is not just for this group but for anyone here testing. Do NOT be afraid of making mistakes. Never be afraid of making a mistake. Mistakes are good! You LEARN from mistakes, mistake help you grow and get better, be GRATEFUL for mistakes. We don't only accomplish thing by getting through challenges, but from learning from them. Allow yourself to make mistakes."

Then the Black Belt candidates came up. They had to do more forms and a few more breaks than the rest of the testing candidates. I had asked to read the essays they had to do. After performing their forms, I again raised my hand to address each one of the candidates. I wanted to get on a personal level with them and get inside their heads a little bit, to see if their thinking is in alignment with Black Belt thinking. I asked them things about their goals, what their journey meant to them, leadership, friends, their experiences they hold close, and I was very happy with the answers they gave. It wouldn't be a Black Belt test without getting a little personal because Black Belt is a very personal journey.

Then a young lady named Dilan, who performed at Kristin's test, was testing for 2nd Degree Decided. She performed a form, and these Songahm Taekwondo forms are VERY long, but her technique was marvelous, and she did not seem winded at all. She came a long way since I last saw her in September. I really enjoyed watching Dilan, and having the opportunity to see her before, I wanted to take her experience a step further.

I asked her about her essay a little bit, then asked her a few questions about her observation of Kristin's test, just to get a viewpoint from one young lady watching another woman warrior. So many people think martial arts is a male dominant activity and that is definitely false. Actually I was one of two guys going up the ranks with a dozen girls. When I opened up my own school, I had all girls and ONE boy! And the girls I trained with (like Kristin) were forces to be reckoned with. So when I see another young lady testing for a high rank in martial arts, I really want to see the girl power. And Dilan represented VERY well.

I had her do as many jumping jacks in two minutes like Kristin did on her 2nd Degree test. Dilan started strong and was getting winded half way, then pushed herself and the spectators went wild cheering for her! What great energy! That's what a Black Belt test is all about! Interactive energy. Dilan did great and finished with 192 jumping jacks!

Then the candidates testing for Black Belt had to spar all the school Black Belts. They really had to demonstrate that perseverance and will to not give up, and test their stamina. Every 20 seconds the Black Belts rotated in line to spar. The last match was against their instructor, Mr. Valentino. They did great.

At the end the belts were given out to each of the adult color belts, acknowledgment to the mid term testers who passed (they all did, and did awesome), then the presentation of the Black Belts. One by one they were called and their parents were called up to join them for the presentation of their belts, very much like I do. It was emotional and proud. I was so happy and thrilled to be a part of this test, and it was great to see George "in mode" during the test. The kids did great and I was just as proud of them as if they were my own students!

That's what martial arts is all about. It's about collaborating the spirit of martial arts into a positive force. The energy put together and sharing the wonderful personal experiences is what can make this world go round in a positive way. It was great to be a part of ATA's test, and George did a wonderful job! It's so great to know there is someone else out in the martial arts world who loves what they do just as much as me. Congratulations to all the new belts at ATA Martial Arts!


Yours in service,
ANDREW TRENTO

No comments:

Post a Comment