Thursday, April 4, 2013

A Master and his Father

Master Frank Yee and Master Pedro C. Yee

"The Wong Fei Hung Northeastern All Kung Fu Championships were held on September 27 at Fairleigh Dickinson University in Teaneck, New Jersey. Things got going around 11 a.m. with three different lion dance troupes. The drums, cymbals and lion dances energized the crowd (many of whom were affiliated with Yee's Hung Ga - if I had to estimate I would say up to half the competitors were from a Yee's Hung Ga, which has kwoons in all five boroughs, as well as upstate and New Jersey), and at the end Master Frank Yee jumped in and tossed the lion head around a little too.
After the lion dances, Sifu Pedro Cepero and Master Yee (both of Yee's Hung Ga) stood in front of the head table as the announcer made a long speech about how martial arts is like a family. A good father is... a good son is... Master Yee has been a good father to us... Sifu Cepero has been a good son to Master Yee... it was all very nice, but I was wondering what the point was. Then came the kicker - "As of September 19th, 2003, Sifu Pedro Cepero will be known as Pedro C. Yee!" Master Yee legally adopted his student! They embraced in a bear hug for almost a full minute as the applause swelled. I could feel the emotion running through the gym - truly a beautiful moment."
- Website of "Martial Arts NY" posted on October 2 2003
Wong Fei Hung All Kung Fu Championships
 
Sifu and Sigung in deep conversation.
I have known my master only for a short time. It'll be two year this July, and I have been training under him only going onto nine months now. But I know more about my current master in nine months than I ever did with my old master in ten years. I know so much of the history of the Hung Ga Kung Fu system, stories that would blow your mind away. And I also have heard so many great stories pertaining to my master's own training and experiences. Many which involve his own master, Master Frank Yee.

The above quote is about a moment in time in which I WISH I was present. Master Frank Yee, my Grandfather master (also known as Sigung) is a third generation disciple of the Hung Ga System.The art has been passed down and lived on because of the work and effort of Master Frank Yee. It is through my own Sifu, Master Pedro C. Yee that the entire system of Hung Ga has been taught to inside and out. Not only has the art been passed down, but so has the name "Yee" when his own master adopted him.

I think of that time in 2003, where was I  in the world? Oh yes, I was a first degree Black Belt under my old master at the time, teaching classes in Saddle Brook, NJ. Wow. It's amazing to think of this momentous moment going on. I wish I was there for it! It's all about timing. The master-student relationship in martial arts to me is a sacred one. It is a relationship that unless you truly have it to the extent as it should involving every aspect of your life, then you really cannot understand it.


Back in the day, my old master planted seeds that formulated a very well rounded training material for myself, each specialty providing me with tools that allowed me to use in every aspect of my life. It was through my original training I understood the skills I was learning for really teaching greater skills for my life.When the old master and I parted, I was VERY picky on who I would train under as my master. My expectations and standards were and remain VERY high. I found these phenomenal mentors but they are limited to their specialty in my training and nothing more other than some phenomenal friendships as well. My next master would have to be the real deal in my eyes, and will truly train me in all aspects of my martial arts that will seep into my life.

I think of what Sifu's training was like with his father. My imagination runs wild. Just to think of what my master's training was like, and the opportunity to be a part of this fantastic martial art. Sifu has done many styles of martial arts, but he has Hung Ga as his chosen art. And to share such a phenomenal bond with his master, a relationship that could only rival one of father and son. That really is something special.

Father and son enjoying each other's company.
I have written in a previous blog when Sifu came to visit me unexpectedly one day how I was reflecting some of the greatest teacher-student relationships we may know about. Master Yoda and Obi Won or Obi Won and Luke Skywalker. Master Roshi and Goku, Splinter and the Ninja Turtles. Even in real life like Master Bardatsos and Steven Lin or Grandmaster Chun and Master Doug Cook. These pairs have their names synonymous to the other. But I don't think any can compare to the story between my Sifu and his father. 

To always have that "go-to" authority for guidance or comfort is always a special thing. Something I personally hold in high regard it knowledge. I absolutely LOVE to learn, especially if it is of such high quality that can be used to bettering the world or people in some way. Me personally, my greatest gift to anybody would be to pass on something of great value that I know. A martial arts master has a wonderful ability to share knowledge through a unique and spiritual manner. I can only imagine Master Frank Yee's initial excitement and joy when he finally realized he had someone he could pass down ALL of his knowledge to, and that is was JUST as important to this person as it was to him.

I want to learn everything I can. I work hard, I put effort in truly studying my training, and being as well rounded as possible. I take all I can from my mentors, and by expanding my horizons in my training on SO many levels through my master training, I am in utter bliss. It makes me so happy to learn this great magic, but also to learn it from the best of the best. And appreciating where it came from in the first place.
A master is always sharing his knowledge with his students, no matter where they are in life.
I do not know about my other training brothers and sisters. Of course it is important to them, and they know they have the best of the best as well. But for me personally, what I am learning goes beyond gold. I know my Sifu has many other students and disciples. I can only voice that the greatest treasure I have in my life is having a master who can lead me to the higher level of living I want to be at. To be a part even in the smallest way of these great tradition and history. I admire the story of he and his father so much. It is inspiring and awe-striking. 

But even more so, it's wonderful having a master again PERIOD. Training solo for a few years, I did very well and had great guidance. But the moment you acknowledge someone as your master, it opens an entirely different energy for you. Unfortunately, I don't feel my words can truly convey this energy, unless you yourself have experienced it. I look forward to all my training with Sifu and learning even from his own father. It is a privilege and honor to be learning from the best there is. It means more to me than he will ever know. I will strive to become the greatest master I can be for my own students. Who knows, maybe one day there will be a student out there who will be just as proud and enthusiastic to train under me as I am to train under Master Pedro C. Yee.

Me listening to Sifu and Master Frank Yee one year ago at Yee's Hung Ga.

Yours in service,
MASTER TRENTO

No comments:

Post a Comment