Thursday, July 19, 2012

4th Degree Master Test FINAL DAY

CONTINUED FROM PREVIOUS POST.. 
July 16, 2012 -- The final day of the six day pretest for my 4th Degree Black Belt master test began at 2pm. My eyes were closed as I meditated and gathered my thoughts and emotions. I was doing light stretching and before I knew it, one of the Friars and one of my most dearest friends in the whole world, Nina Harkhani, walked out to put me into concentration position. As soon as she walked out I teared up. Already the surprises were beginning. I knew this was going to be a full day of a lot of emotions.

When I opened my eyes I looked up at the panel, and I began to cry. Right away I saw in front of me some of the most important people in my life; some very important characters who were a big part of my martial arts career. It took a few minutes for me to gather my emotions. I saw exactly how they situated themselves. From right to left they sat in the order of how they came into my life.

 First was of course Kristin Barrett, my best friend in the whole entire world. She and I go as far back as day ONE into the martial arts world. Next was a former instructor of mine who I was completely surprised to see, Mr. Jeff Checkley, who taught me about a dozen years ago. Then sat Nina, followed by my fitness mentor Charlene Scarcella, another big surprise for me. I knew she was coming as a spectator, I didn't think she would be part of the test! Next was a former student of mine when he was like three years old, now eighteen years old, Storm Duke. Next followed some of my Black Belts, first Samantha Volk, Robert Lisciandrello, Erin McKenna, and Andrew Kranich.


Following Andrew was mentor Professor Lisa Sargese, and next to her was probably the most prestigious guest I could ever have on a panel for a Black Belt test at my school. My new master, Sifu Pedro Yee. This would be the first time Sifu ever see me as a martial artist. I am sure he was filled in on the week, but I was honored to have Sifu there for this day. It meant a great dea to have his presence and I became overcome with emotions when I saw him. I was absolutely thrilled! Following Sifu was Ms Pamela Gedman from ATA martial arts who is a fourth degree Black Belt, competed at many world championships, guest judged at TMAFC for Miss Volk's test, and a very dear friend of George's. And of course at the end, and facilitator for the day was George Valentino.

Each judge got up and explained how they knew me and a little about their role in the martial arts. Each one had me just as emotional as the next. These people meant a great deal to me, as well as many people in attendance. Frankie and his family were there, many of my students, former students, my parents and brothers, my Aunt Karen was there, some of George's students who knew me were there, my friends Jill and Tricia, the energy in the room was amazing.

The test followed the AAU guidelines which always start with Forms. I know 40 forms in Taekwondo, but the judges required me to only perform the Black Belt forms which not many people get to see anyway. I did the three Olympic Taekwondo Black Belt forms Koryo, Kuemkang, and Taebeck. Then I did ten of the traditional ITF forms GwanGae, Po Ehn, Gaebeck, Eu Aim, Choong Jang, KoDang, Juche, Sam Il, Yoo Sin, and Choi Yong. Then I peformed the 3rd Degree ATA Black Belt form WITH Mr. George Valentino as a surprise. He taught me the form in three sessions and it was our FIRST performance together ever. I really enjoyed my performance of my forms.


My first performance with Mr. Valentino
Traditionally on these Black Belt tests we do a section called judges choice. The judges get to choose whatever they want me to do. Philosophical question, physical challenges, instructional, whatever they choose. Kristin was up first and she is known for her army drill of "On your belly-on your feet." For five minutes straight Kristin would call out on your belly where I'd do push ups, on your feet where I'd do foot fires (running in place as fast as I can) and/or on your back where I did situps. It was a lot of fun. Most people would take it as torture, I had fun with the whole thing.
Kristin Barrett overseeing her judges choice for me
Mr.Checkley had asked me a question regarding my training up to this point to get more insight of a "master's" point of view. Nina asked me a question about my biggest struggle and how I've dealt with it while doing fifty squat thrusts with the jump. Obviously my biggest struggle was a forgiveness issue, that I have come a long way with. Next Charlene asked me to do 30 one handed push ups on both sides like we used to do at the gym when she personal trained me. She knew a year ago what I was training for. Storm had me do a former challenge from the week and overcome that challenge. I think I surprised myself with the record I kept for myself. I even asked them to double check to see if they made a mistake LOL.

Sam's judges choice was hilarious. Everyone knows how I love my hair and keep it so nice. She made all my students line up behind me and I had to allow everyone to mess up my hair one by one. It was a comical moment. Next Robert had me perform my least favorite form blind folded and I had to start and end on the same point. Erin chose for me to perform two of her favorite forms, and Andrew asked me to recite all my Korean history for general knowledge.
Mr. Checkley asking his question for judge's choice.

Nina asking for her judge's choice.

Charlene enjoying the entire Black Belt test experience.

Me doing one handed push ups for Charlene's judge's choice.
The students messing up my hair for Sam's judge's choice
Robert blind folding me for his judge's choice.
 Next was Lisa's judge's choice. We have done Qigong together and she is an educator's educator. She wanted me to instruct four of my students a particular Qigong form and explain the necessity of the movements and it's symbolic ways to gathering the lessons of the past, bringing it into the present, and releasing what you need to the future. Then I created a Qi-ball (will discuss in a future blog) and gave it to my mother. Then, it was Sifu's turn.

Sifu first questioned me on some Chinese history based on the kung fu he teaches, known as Hung Ga Kung fu. And then a truly remarkable and unexpected judge's choice he had planned for me. After seeing me conjure qi-balls from Lisa's judge's choice, he thought I was ready to stimulate qi in a completely different way. Qi is energy that we all have inside of us, it always has been, always will be, it is the ultimate energy of life. He wanted me to produce liquid at the tips of my fingers. My fingertips produced moisture and I couldn't believe it. Even after Sifu was explaining to the audience I continued to manifest the qi and had a drop of liquid form at the tip of my ring finger. I was amazed and for ME, it was only foreshadow to what was to come with my training with Sifu.

Next was Ms Gedman asking me questions based on my thesis I wrote for my master's test and the goals I had for myself in my training and for my own students. And then George made me teach one of the high level Krav Maga self-defenses to one of my more "shy" students. This was his way of having me demonstrate I can teach this type of styled martial art to any type of student.
Me teaching the qigong form to four of my students for Lisa's judge's choice.
Blast to the past with Qigong

Sifu explaining Qi to the audience as I gather it myself.

Sifu explaining to me how to use my "Dan-tien".
Me producing liquid at the tip of my fingers.

Ms Gedman asking her judge's choice to see where my thoughts are for the future.

One of my goal's for sparring was to be able to do 30 minutes straight of Olympic sparring. Unless you've done it before, you can't begin to imagine the amount of endurance needed to do such a thing. Mind you! I also went through five days, some double sessions, of testing that was quite hard on the body. I am choosing to bring my body to the ultimate point of physical exhaustion. There were periods of just changing partners between Robert, George, Kristin, and Andrew. Later there were two on one against me, and later on three on me.

Halfway through, my body was saying to me "screw you, buddy" so I changed to punches. Olympic Taekwondo has no punches really, but George's style, and my old style of training does. Do I started throwing punches and wouldn't use the legs unless I KNEW it would land. I couldn't afford to waste ANY energy. I'd rather block with my arms then move my body, because it used less motion. I had to adjust with the time that I had that my body would allow me, as much as I was aware to do. I felt very good about it.

Robert and Sam had to leave halfway and had a moment to say a few things. It was very emotional. Sam has been a loyal supporter since she was seven and a big part of TMAFC by her own account. But I got especially emotional when it came to hear Robert. Robert has been there for me not only in my training but in the most difficult times of my personal life. He did a phenomenal job in facilitating the test during the week and knew exactly what I wanted. I cannot thank him enough not only for that week, but for being the powerhouse of friendship that he is.




I went to the back with Lisa and Sifu as the judge's prepared for the self-defense portion. It had a huge bump on my arm, nothing I couldn't handle. But I had one of the greatest healers in the world right with me! So Sifu worked on my arm and it hurt initially but I was amazed at how the bump visibly just disappeared. Someone then came out and put a blind fold on me. Back in 2002 on my very first Black Belt test, there was a self-defense portion of the test that included a large blue tarp with water on it, a blindfold, loud deafening music, shut off lights, and a bucket of water thrown on me while people tried to attack me. They tried to reproduce that very same self-defense confrontation.

I was brought out, thrown to the floor, poured a bucket of water on me, and was attacked. This is sometimes the most emotional part to watch and can be very intense. Even with all our senses against us, we are able to defend ourselves and many people join martial arts. It's hard to watch but its very real and God forbid we ever truly get into a confrontation, we know we can protect ourselves. Despite the physical exhaustion I was in, I had to do what I needed to do in order to "survive". Then at one point, they put my mother, Aunt Karen, and little Owen in the corner and I had to protect them. I've done it myself to my own students and I knew they would do it to me, but it still doesn't prepare you to see people you love and the thought of having to fight for them. I got very emotional. And I did what I had to do. It's what I trained for. Whether you agree with how they tested me for it or not, it's not up for debate. Afterwards I just demonstrated the open hand and weapon Krav Maga self-defenses.
Ten Years ago was the last time I did a self-defense test like this one.
Blind folded, blasted music, wet tarp, and a bucket of water dropped on you while being attacked.
I had to defend my Aunt Karen, my mother, and little Owen.
The final portion of the test was breaking. According to the judges, they knew I could break all the required breaking, so the martial artist judges got to choose some of their favorite challenging breaks for me to do on the test. George asked me to do a double jump front kick, Kristin chose jump spinning knife hand strike,  Erin chose speed punch, Mr. Checkley chose a combination break, Storm chose a double kick, Andrew chose an ax kick, and then I had chosen my five board sliding side kick. Finally the test was complete. It was then time for the judges to go into my office and discuss their decision.
George's choice of break.
Kristin's choice of break.
Andrew's choice of break.
Sifu was healing people all day from injuries and ailments! The poor man never stopped!
My Five board sliding side kick.
The judges came out and they asked me to speak. I was very emotional, and did my best to keep it together. I was so happy with how the test went. Years ago, we'd have students who were known for how they did their forms, or if self-defense was their thing, or sparring was their thing, or maybe breaking. Well for me, Black Belt tests were my thing. And this was an awesome Black Belt test. Many students and supporters came and I couldn't have been happier for their presence. My parents were in attendance with my brothers, some very dear friends who meant the world to me, and the panel I was absolutely thrilled about.

Robert, George, and Lisa did a phenomenal job in planning this test out. George really stepped forward to spear headed this. No one asked him to, he didn't have to do any of this, but he did. George is a phenomenal friend and holds great character and I thank him from the bottom of my heart for all he's put into making this test everything I wanted it to be. Robert equally put his all into giving me the test that I wanted. He knew exactly what I wanted to go through, he knew exactly what I needed to face, and it meant as much to him as it did to me and for that I am forever grateful. And Lisa, she really went above and beyond to be sure the expectations and the spirit that this test required stayed alive. I know it was very stressful for her too. But I can't help but have a special smile thinking about Lisa's involvement, because four years ago, she was the one I WANTED as my mentor, and she was the one a year ago I told about this test, and to see her sitting at the table for the very thing I have waited for my entire life, it truly was a moment of life coming full circle. She is one of the greatest and bestest friends I will ever have.

It was an honor to have Mr. Checkley, one of my former instructors to be here for this test! He was a part of my origin and to have that piece of my past for this moment meant the world to me. Mr. Checkley also gave me one of the best compliments I could ever have received. He told me that he wishes he could train under me if he could come back to training. It was an honor to have Ms Gedman judge MY test for me. And she had already been judging a test earlier that day, so for her to come all the way from one school to my test was a really big deal for me. I was really surprised to see her.

Of course Nina was a big surprise for me, she made it sound like she would be working and studying (she is in medical school saving the world). And then of course my mentor Charlene, I have known her for so long and she has played such a huge role in my life and it's just so funny how you just never know where you end up with people! A year ago I as just talking to her about this test, and here she was on the panel for it! And I think Charlene, along with Lisa, are the first non-martial artists to be on the panel for a Black Belt test.

I was thrilled and brought to tears at the way my Black Belts had come together for this test. During the week as well, Robert, Samantha, Andrew, Erin, and Frankie really did an awesome job. I couldn't have been more pleased and proud with them. And to have Storm join in as a blast from the past, he fit right in as if not a day has gone by from the day we trained together. Of course the greatest honor was to have Sifu here. What a way to see me for the first time as a martial artists. I couldn't wait to hear from him what his thoughts were and what might be going on in his head about how my training with him will go. He brought such a wonderful element to my test and I told him that it meant so much to have him there, in which he responded "It meant so much to ME to be here."

Remember this test was a cumulative test of all I have done in my fifteen years of martial arts. And we will never forget who was on that journey with us. It was only fitting to have Kristin there for me. She was there for day one, took every color belt test with me, we shared a Black Belt test together, competed together, trained and taught others together, trained under the same master, but even greater than that are the bigger staples in our lives that we shared together in our personal lives. One of the most, if not THE most, important person in my life, this test would not have been complete without her presence.

At the conclusion of the test the mentors present (Lisa and Charlene), and the new master (Sifu Yee) had presented me with a large certificate that was made up for me for competing this six day test. The center was a write up like any certificate but what made this certificate extra special was around the certificate were quotes from some of my mentors, my Black Belts, Sifu, and from the Friars. It was so touching to read. And another plaque that was made up and given to me that awarded me the approval of being worthy of the title "Master" by my students, friends and family, loved ones, my Black Belts, my mentors, and the Friars.

It was a day I will never forget. Many of the most important people of my life were all there in that room of my dojang. I was able to complete the six day test for a 4th Degree Black Belt. I felt ready for the real test which would take place one week from that very day. This test could not have been any better. The only thing that would have been better is if all the mentors and all the Friars could make it that day. But life's circumstances make it tough, but they all had an important role that got me to this point. This rite of passage was spiritually enlightened. Now it was time for me to set my sights on reaching the end of the tunnel, the very event I waited my whole life for. My 4th Degree Black Belt Master test!
Everyone bowing out to Sifu Yee at the end of the test.
Add caption
Yours in service,
A TRENTO






No comments:

Post a Comment