Thursday, March 8, 2012

Music Psychology

Last night I taught a cardio kickboxing class at my school. I've done cardio kickboxing since I was sixteen years old, and I myself lost 45 pounds doing cardio kickboxing. It's awesome exercise and you get results. As always, it depends on how much effort you put into your workout and your eating habits. But there's something interesting I found out.

When I first started teaching cardio kickboxing, my mentor Charlene gave me a job at her gym and I taught one class a week and I had only one CD. Then I began teaching two or three classes a week, and I had maybe three CDs and I would alternate routines and CDs. Now being a martial artist, I don't care if there's music or not, I work to work. As long as I am working out and putting my all into it and getting my results, I am happy.

That's not to say that music can't enhance your performance. But the workouts are not about the music! It's about the exercising!! I have come across many different people and I actually had people in the past complain that I had the same music. Well, they were right, I only had three CDs at the time. Now I have several more, and I constantly alternate the music and routines. I have four kickboxing classes a week and I may use only ONE CD twice in a week, but that is it. I will change it up and still will be getting more CDs soon.

Sometimes you get a few ladies who will chit chat during the workout. Happens in every gym and every class I've ever been in or taught. It's typical. Not like a martial arts class where discipline must be upheld (hear that Robert! =P), but it's more laid back. Everyone has their own goals and own reasons for working out. It's either to get away, relieve stress, to sweat, to feel like they can eat or drink badly later, to lose weight, or to be healthy. Everyone's different. But then a discovery!

A while ago, one of my cardio ladies mentioned how my really fast CDs that were more upbeat kept the class more focused and working harder than a slower beat per measure CD. Well in last night's class, I had one of my slower cardio CDs which is supposed to make the class move stronger rather than faster. But I must have had three pairs of women talking. So I thought, "What would happen if I changed the CD half way through?" So half hour into the class, during the water break, I changed to a faster CD which is for faster movements for heart rate instead of stronger, torking movements.

Well! Wouldn't you know! Not ONE person talked during the second half hour. Not ONE. I couldn't help chuckling as I was waiting to see if any conversation would break out. It didn't happen! So I guess I have to buy more faster upbeat CDs and save my slower CDs to be used seldom. But not too seldom because what makes these classes work is the constant change of moving strong with moving fast. But no matter what the purpose of your workout: stress relief, weight loss, to sweat, to burn off that big dinner from your parent's the night before-- the workout is about the workout, not the music. That's what dances are for.

So acknowledging what music can do for one's workout, it can motivate you, move faster, and make your stronger. But apparently, it can make you more focused and make you either want to talk or not want to talk! It was really funny because I didn't really expect a change. But the psychology of music showed me!

Yours in service,
ANDREW TRENTO

No comments:

Post a Comment