Friday, March 16, 2012

Proud Legacy

"Leadership Law #21: A leader's lasting value is measured by succession."
-John C Maxwell
 
When I was apprenticing under my old master at hi school, there was a lot I would do that I didn't have to do. When I was a color belt, I would come hours early before my class would even start and train and workout by myself before actually taking my class. I would assist classes if I could, which got to to begin teaching at a young age and rank. I would help students who needed help and give the attention they needed. I would stay after class with students and help them with anything they were struggling with. I would come on my own time to help students get ready for tests coming up or if they wanted extra training. I would even jump in on tests at pivotal moments of testing that were stressful or challenging.
 
Now as the chief instructor, and almost master instructor, my role changes and there are some things I can still do and then there certain things that I can't do anymore. I have to keep a particular composure to uphold my role as the master instructor and I can only hope the students I once did things for would do the same for the new upcoming students. 

Well last Saturday, my Black Belt, Robert, came in early before classes to help my junior Black Belt, Owen, to go over his forms. I was so proud of him. No one asked him to do it. No one pushed him. No one offered him anything. Robert just chose to come in early on his own time to help out a student in the school. I couldn't have been happier. I was so proud of Robert. It was what a true Black Belt would do. Offering his time to help another. 

They say you can measure one's true legacy by how one's students carry out the lessons they were taught by their masters. The continue to live on and share the experiences given to them by their master. To see Robert be such a servant leader, I couldn't have been prouder! Well done Robert. Well done. And thank you! =D

Yours in service,
ANDREW TRENTO

No comments:

Post a Comment