Tuesday, April 10, 2012

The "Dawn" of Training

I have a very dear friend to me named Dawn. I met Dawn about nine or ten years ago. I was apprenticing under my old Master in his school in Saddle Brook. Dawn used to take the fitness classes my old master used to offer and I would work the front desk at night and enter the attendance for him. That's how we knew each other. I would enter her name in every night in the computer. Then our school moved to another town and I did less desk work and did more teaching and didn't really see her that much, but she saw me a lot because I was teaching all the classes for my master.

Then in 2006 I began taking the fitness classes my master would teach. He would do cardio kickboxing and weights classes. Dawn would be in them and she stood in the front. And of course, being the student that I was, I was front and center, wanting to be the good boy and ready to work HARD as if it were a martial arts discipline! Well Dawn would hate it when I stood next to her because I would NEVER be with the instructor or my master's count. I was going faster and stronger. And by standing next to Dawn, she would start going faster and stronger keeping up with me. She didn't mean to but she would be watching me and it made her follow. But it also gave her a better workout ;) .

For the next 3 years I would take all the fitness classes and Dawn and I were always in the front, goofing off, arguing with my master or the instructor, but still working hard and got a hell of a good workout. Then when I began teaching fitness classes myself, she would take each one. It was a lot of fun, and then a very good friendship was born. Dawn has a great sense of humor, witty and sarcastic, but she has a heart of gold. She doesn't have a bad thing to say about anyone, is very fair, and very caring. Dawn truly one of a kind and anyone would kill to be her friend.

When I left my old master at the end of 2008, she left too and she was the middle person who got my mentor, Charlene, and I in touch which later got my a job at Strive Health and Fitness gym in Saddle Brook where I began working with Charlene and had a place to train and teach and get some fitness class experience. Dawn and a few others followed me over to Strive for classes where I was for over a year from 2009 to 2010 and then I opened my own school and Dawn followed me over to where I currently am. And Dawn is the star of my fitness classes, LOL! Everyone watches her and she gets along with everyone, and jokes around with everyone. When my Aunt Karen and her take class together, its quite a sight to see. But it makes the classes more enjoyable.

She would not only take the classes I would teach but her and a few others would join me in my fitness workouts I would do during the day and we've been doing this for years. Going back a few years ago, when my old trainer named Susy and Dawn took class with me, I would bust their chops and ask when they would begin martial arts. They both jokingly said "When you open your own school, we'll start martial arts!" Well only a few years later, ta da! Here I am with my own school! Where is Dawn and Susy?! Of course they were just joking, but I still bust on them!

Well recently, the topic of trying out for the Olympics, the REAL Olympics, was brought to my attention (I will be blogging about this further soon). I thought the idea of me in the Olympics was ludicrous. I watch how it is when I spar Steven Lin, Eleni Lianos, and Simone DeVito and I wish I could spar like them, however I do enjoy working with them. Well I told Robert and Dawn this and they both look at me with blank stares and say "Well why not?" -_____- I was looking more for them to agree with me. But no. Dawn said "Why don't you try out for the Olympics?" Then began the new chop busting question: When are you going to try out for the Olympics?

So after about a week of her asking me that question I began counter-questioning her with "When are you going to start martial arts?" To which she replied, "What time are the classes for the older than dirt crowd?" -___- always has to jest! I told her at six o'clock. "How many times would I have to do it?" I told her two or three times a week. She said "Okay, I'll see you on Monday." I didn't know how serious she was being.

Yesterday at right before my 6:00 adult class started, came in Dawn for her first martial arts class. "Alright, now where is you application to try out for the Olympics!??!" Now...I have to hold myself accountable to this agreement. But I couldn't believe she really came to take martial arts class! I was also very thrilled! I have told her she would love it and would be so good at it for the last six years! And now, here she is, starting martial arts! She Kia-ed, she kicked, she did her blocks, and she learned Chongi (the white belt form). I was so happy!

Of course the ball buster that she is asked me how long it would take to be in the Olympics. I began to laugh and answered "WELL! Considering the eight qualifying phases for 2012 is over, it's going to take me FOUR YEARS before I can see if I can make it to the Olympics. The same amount of time it'll take YOU to achieve Black Belt." Her reply: "OH CRAP!" LOL!!!!!

As long as she sticks with it, so will I. =D and I know we will both do very well. But I don't think Dawn knows how important its going to become for her. Or maybe she does...

Dawn and I on our pretend birthday April 1st! Two fools! LOL

Yours in service,
ANDREW TRENTO

No comments:

Post a Comment