Monday, April 2, 2012

A Black Belt Run

Saturday, my dear friend and fellow martial artist George Valentino of ATA Martial Arts in Springfield invited me to a mile run he was doing with his students. After I taught at the Korean church and then at my school, I drove over to Springfield to his school. I walked in and Mr. Valentino was teaching a class and his partner, Mr. Delano and his wife welcomed me, along with many of the students who remembered me. At the end of his class, he had the students turn and graciously welcome me with a bow.

Everyone got into their running gear, some stayed in their gi (uniforms) and we got into a few cars and drove over to the track. Four times around the track was one mile. We did a little warmup and stretch, I got to talk to some of the students who remembered me, and some new ones had introduced themselves to me. I was considered a "guest Black Belt instructor" and some of the parents joined in as well. Mr. Delano and I discussed some things pertaining to our upcoming testing in the summer, and a little bit of our training and preparation.

Then we began the run, and many of us were to stay with a partner so we wouldn't give up and could support each other. A young boy of about nine or ten years old was next to me and we began running at a nice easy pace. We did really well after our first lap, and did very well the second lap, then I began asking him some questions when he began to slow down, to keep his mind off of any ailments. it was a bit nippy out and rained prior to our run. I asked him what rank he was, what his training goals were, what he as most excited about testing for Black Belt, etc.

The last lap I pushed him, making short term goals. "Okay let's get to the goal post!" "Let's sprint the last half!" "Keep going! We're in this together! C'mon! You can do it!" And he kept at it! He pushed on and did awesome! He did it in 9:42! I gave him a double high five, then saw these two boys were struggling on their last lap, so I did an additional fifth lap with them and pushed them. "Come on boys! Black belt attitude!" I kept yelling. "ATA!!!!!" I kept yelling! I treated them as if they were my own kids. Encouraging them, motivating them, pumping them up, believing in them, and they showed great determination.

I have to say, and I saw this at the ATA test I judged at, Mr. Valentino and Mr. Delano's students are very well disciplined and very respectful. Even as I casually asked some what their names were, they answered with a strong "SIR" after their sentences, and that is a great attribute to their instructors. I was very proud of them as if they were my own. After that fifth lap, I waited to see how everyone else would do. Then I was told that Dilan, the young girl who came to Ms Barrett's test and tested for 2nd Degree when I judged in February, had to do 12 laps which totaled 3 miles! Well I wasn't going to let her have all the fun!

So I joined Dilan for the last six laps. And she kept at a very steady, easy pace, and controlled her breathing very well. She played her music on her phone, and just had an overall awesome attitude. Mr. Delano joined us on one of the laps and I began to sing the Eye of the Tiger song from Rocky to pump her up. We laughed and giggled as we ran around, and on the last lap I heard an upbeat song and asked her what it was and she told me it was something from Disney's Hercules. I asked her if she had the song Go the Distance and she lit up and said "OH MY GOD, what an awesome song for this last lap! Yes!" How appropriate! On that last lap we "went the distance" and sprint to the end. She did awesome and I was so proud of her!

And as for me it's been so long since I ran, I was heavily impressed with myself. Glad to see training's paying off. I felt like Goku running on snake way to get to King Kai's for training. A lot of these students were and have been running on this path to Black Belt together. I was running toward my master's test! No matter where we were running, we ran through it together, and I was happy to be a part of it.

Yours in service,
ANDREW TRENTO

No comments:

Post a Comment