Monday, April 9, 2012

Making it Count

Eleni getting ready for her match
Last night I was at Kixx Martial Arts Academy for my sparring training. Master DeGeorge ran the class and Master Bardatsos was not in attendance this time. I had the opportunity to work with Eleni as a partner last night. I remember Eleni from many years ago when I used to go once a month to Queens to spar at Master Bardatsos's school, and I remember watching her compete. I don't know if she remembers me then, but it was awesome to watch her spar.

Eleni moves with such ease and really understands the game. She was very patient with me as a partner (which I think any of these elite fighters would need being my partner) and she is very helpful. I didn't feel uncomfortable asking her questions, she made me feel comfortable when helping and giving me a few tips or pointing out a few flaws to correct, she is top class.

She also had competed at the NY State Championships the weekend before and had badly injured her left foot. You could see the big black bruises on the top of her foot, on her toes, and the side of her foot. She was working the opposite side, but she was due to compete in Massachusetts the upcoming weekend and she made a comment to the affect that no matter what she had to do, she'll use that foot if she has to in order to win. And that's what a winner's attitude is. No matter what it takes, I'll get it done. I really admired her for that.

The last drill we did I used to cringe when I was younger. It's called "holder's choice." One partner holds the targets/paddles that we kick and for about a minute and a half the partner throws out the targets in different sequences as if we were sparring and the other partner responds quickly and kicks he paddle when it is out. You are applying different situations and drills depending on your position and set up. It takes endurance because you are constantly kicking for a minute and half, and quick minded reaction, and of course timing. Stamina, mechanics, and timing? Oy!

Well I went first and did alright, then Master DeGeorge held for Eleni. I loved watching her, even with one leg only, she pushed on, she was loud, and she made those paddles POP! But after I went the second time and was catching my breath watching her, something clicked. It didn't matter what kick she did, or how tired she was, I noticed she simply made every kick count. That was it. I was in awe as I continued to watch her kick those paddles. With modifying over an injury and being tired from all the drills, she simply did one important thing: every kick counted!

That is the key to competing as well I guess. Make every move count. Make every decision you make count. Make every kick you throw count. And that is the essence of a great competitor. So I changed my whole attitude on the third round and did my best to do just that. And that last round, I was even less tired that I was the first to rounds. I often tend to be too tense and worked up and it exerts (and wastes) a lot of energy. Making every kick count later and staying more relaxed, I performed a lot better. Eleni's foot was beginning to bother her so Master DeGeorge asked me if I want to fill in and do an extra round with no rest in between. I of course said YES SIR! And did so. I wish I could say I didn't get tired this last round, but I didn't do too bad either.

I love sparring and working with the "sparring royalty" as I call them. Even by watching them you an learn so much. I often wonder how long it will take me before I can perform at their level. Of course patience and effort are needed. But I cannot help but want to be done yesterday! But practice and patience and doing my best as I keep to my course, I hope I can one day be on the level of competition Eleni, Simone, and Steven are at. Will it ever happen? Time will tell.

Yours in service,
ANDREW TRENTO

No comments:

Post a Comment