Wednesday, April 11, 2012

To Think! An iPhone!!

Me: How do you turn off the computer?
Friend: Click on start..
Me: No I want to turn it off.
Friend: Yeah...click on start..
Me: Listen! I want to turn it OFF!
Friend: Then click on Start!
Me:...I have to click on Start to turn OFF the computer?
Friend: Yes..
(PAUSE)
Me: That's the stupidest thing I have ever heard!
Friend: Well what do you want from me!?
Me: Do I have to click END to turn it ON?
Friend: Of course not!
Me: Well why should I click Start to END it?!
Friend: I didn't make the damn thing! Leave me alone!
Me: Well I am starting this conversation!
Friend: What?
Me: I am starting this conversation! GOOD BYE!
 
 
I remember having this convo with someone a long time ago in eighth grade. I was, and for those who know me all too well, still am quite illiterate when it comes to technology. GRANTED! I have come a long way. But my generation is the generation of technology. But I really was stupid when it came to chords and plugs, and setting things up, etc. Mostly because it is kinda hereditary, but I wasn't put in any position to figure any of those things out, it was always such a big deal to have technology and figuring it out! So I was conditioned.

Setting up a TV? Forget it! A game system? Don't even! Hard drives and flashdrives? What happened to floppy disks? Burning DVDs and Browsing? What's a Browse? I was awful! My friends would have so much fun at my expense but I had to admit it was pretty funny how much I didn't know.

I didn't get a cell phone until I was 16 years old and until I was in my twenties, a regular flip phone was absolutely fine with me. I couldn't believe how phones had evolved from the time when I was a young teenager. You can touch the screen and it'll move! You can check your bank statements! You can watch TV! You can use a GPS! Holy cow! I couldn't believe it! I wanted to know if it could do laundry too!

I really don't see the need of having all that until I owned my own business. It's absolutely necessary to be able to check my emails, go online, watch YouTube videos if needed, text message, make phone calls, and do all these things and have it all in one place. I remember when the new "Sidekick" phones came out, Kristin got it and we thought it was the coolest thing we've ever seen in our lives! Then of course the Razor and Chocolate? Is that right?

Well about two years ago, I moved on in the world. After five flip phones, I moved on to a Samsung Intensity, which was like a regular phone, I can dial on a keypad like a regular phone OR slide it out into a keyboard. This was BIG for me. I had it for two years until a new toy DID catch my interest.

SO almost everyone we know has an iPhone! And I exaggerate you not: EVERYONE. Most people have it. I went to the cheesecake factory several months ago with Kristin, and we had such a great time. And during our conversations, if we were talking about something and couldn't remember a piece of information or wanted to share something, we whipped out her phone and researched online or showed the video we were talking about, or looked up what we wanted to know. It was awesome! I have an iTouch iPod so it is very similar, and the more I saw it, the more intrigued I became. So yes, I converted to the iPhone about a month ago.

Now you can only imagine the hilarity to most of my friends, seeing ME with an iPhone. It truly is hilarious. Think of the most illiterate person you know, most likely one of your grandparents or parents. See them, but five times worse and with an iPhone. That is me to them. Absolutely absurd. But I have come a long way. I almost kinda know what I am doing. It helps to have Kristin to ask questions to (hee hee), but I was never a person to go gaga over a new toy like this, but I must say, I am LOVING this iPhone! I've come a long way since that conversation I had in eighth grade asking how to turn a computer off. #IStillThinkClickingStartToTurnOffAComputerIsStupid!

Yours in service,
ANDREW TRENTO

1 comment:

  1. You may see why the iPhone is better than any other phone, but can you see why kids love the taste of Cinnamon Toast Crunch?! :D

    ReplyDelete