Sunday, April 29, 2012

Dreading the Dentist

 "Dentists tell you not to pick your teeth with any harp metal object. Then you sit in their chair! And the first thing they grab is an iron hook."
-Bill Cosby, in "Bill Cosby Himself" 1982

In 1982 Bill Cosby did a stand up and had a dentist segment. You can see the whole eight minute video at the end of this blog. I laughed so hard because I think every experience he described I had. But in the past I have had terrible dentists, forgetting to do the cleaning of my teeth in appointments, insulting my intelligence, not friendly, hurt my mouth, made mistakes, etc. So long story short, I have not been t a dentist in four years.

A few weeks ago one of the women in my cardio classes who is a dental hygienist was hosting a free oral cancer screening at her office. It was a service she was providing using a brand new, up to date technology to detect any cancer in the mouth. She knew I have no dentist and haven't seen one in a long time, so she looked over my teeth for me. Now like I said, it's been FOUR years! But walking into her office, I met three of the dentists and all the hygienists and office ladies and they were so pleasant and friendly. I thought I made a mistake and went to thee wrong type of doctor's office for teeth.

But it was no mistake! I was in the correct office at Ridgewood Dental Associates  and they were as nice as they could be, they let me ask questions, took time to explain things to me, I felt they knew they were talking about, and I felt more than comfortable. We kid around, laughed, discussed, they had a genuine interest for ME the patient. Well I decided to use them as my dentist and made an appointment for my checkup which has been LONG over due.

So last week I walked in and my friend Nancy met me there and she did a wonderful job. I have to admit I was a little hesitant being it has been so long. And negative reference points in the past have made me very skeevish to anything involving my teeth. But Nancy knew right away and was as gentle as can be, even if I was wincing here and there like a little baby. Hey! Even martial arts masters can have their moments! And for not going to a dentist for four years, I had only ONE cavity! Not too shabby. I blame that period of time I lived off of cookies and cheesecake four years ago. But oh well! I scheduled a next day appointment to meet with Dr. Weinstein.

Dr. Weinstein was fantastic! Young guy, very friendly, talked me through everything. He answered questions and explained thoroughly anything I didn't understand. He, too, knew my hesitation and nervousness of being at the dentist, but did great work. Spirit knew it was enough for me to be here for a THIRD time and to have a filling put in. I kept making jokes like "Put in birthday cake filling!" Just as he finished filling in the cavity without any needles and numbness or anything, because it was a back tooth on top, he checked over all the teeth, and lo and behold, he found one more small cavity on the other side of my mouth on the bottom in the back. Dammit!

I can just see Spirit laughing it's head off at me. -_____- Well I said just take care of it! But of course this time because of nerves on the bottom, I had to get the damn needle and numbness to the point you think the sin on your face is falling off, and filled in the other side. Tippy!

And just like the oral surgeon said back in October when I hurt my jaw in my first competition in four years, I will have to have my wisdom teeth pulled. I will wait a little bit before tackling that one, but they recommended me someone who is excellent.

So I am confronting all the fears I had in the past, continuing to do so, and doing the things I have put off. This was unintentional and not on my to do list, but when you begin to conquer other small things that you make a priority in your life that lead to tackling bigger thing you make a priority in your life, all the things you say you'll do you actually do! Then without you even knowing it, Spirit will guide you to accomplishing a lieu of other things you didn't even realize you needed to get done or put off. Ain't it a wonderful thing when you are in alignment with Spirit?



Yours in service,

ANDREW TRENTO

No comments:

Post a Comment