Monday, April 9, 2012

A Mother's Worry

"Being a full time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs....since the payment is pure love."
-Mildred B. Vermont
 
I was going to sleep in a little bit this morning before going to work since I got home late from Easter festivities the night before. But I woke up the the booming voice of Kristin's father from downstairs. I got out from under the covers to see the door to downstairs was open and I asked "What's going on?" Then up coming from the stairs was a teary and shaken Kristin answered "Sadie had a seizure."
Sometimes when we hear certain things being told to us, we hear exactly the words being said. But they don't necessarily process. Then there are times that we are told things that seem almost impossible and insane and it is even more difficult to process. Sadie can't have a seizure. That is absolutely impossibly and could never ever happen. Not to my God-dogger. No way! Then as the moments pass by and the information is processing through my brain, then the emotions set in. The emotions you don't want to show to the already worried mother. 

Kristin was visibly upset, she didn't know what to do next. When she woke up, Sadie was fine. Kristin took a shower, and was getting ready for work. When she went to her room, Sadie was violently shaking. Kristin immediately went over to her and held her close and Sadie's head was shaking and her eyes had this look in her eyes that just said "Mommy, what's happening?" 

As I write this, I begin to tear up because I can only imagine what was going through Kristin's head and the feeling of fear. Fear of the unknown. She didn't know what as going on, why it was happening to what to do. She remembered her vet saying if ever something happened to record it on her phone and show it to her as data. So Kristin did just that, she recorded it so she can show the vet, as she held her baby close to her. Her immediate thought was to bring her downstairs to her father. When she did, Sadie did not want to be carried, she wanted to walk it down herself. And she was getting better, but was still shaking. Her father noticed right away and was getting worked up with worry as well.

When I woke up, Sadie was doing just fine, but Kristin was still very worried. She had to bring her to the vet. I offered to go with her to the vet. So the three of us went to the vet, and Sadie was absolutely fine. I think that she thought she was on her way to Camp BowWow as she does once or twice a week. When we passed it she had this look on her face saying "Uhhhh...mommy you passed my school...my friends are that way...."

We got to the vet's office with no problem (thankfully school is off for Easter vacation and NO ONE was on the road or office). And of course Sadie strolls in being the loveable, sociable bundle of love greeting the receptionists and the techs with kisses and playful greetings. I saw Kristin was easing up and relaxing a little bit but I knew her worry was not going to subside until she spoke with the vet. 

The vet walked in, a very nice lady, and she took Sadie in right away. I was so proud of Sadie, she was SUCH a good patient, and even the vet said she was, and ALWAYS is "exemplary"! Well, pshh, of course! Kristin Barrett's daughter and my God-dogger, for sure! LOL! The vet watched the video and immediately identified the type of seizure and threw all these terms and possibilities of what it could be, etc. 

It was a petite seizure vs a grand seizure and is very common if hereditary under the age of six years old. It was only the focal area of the head and can be caused if she ate something toxic, could resulted from a lot of stress from an eventful weekend (it was a holiday weekend with guests and traveling), or could be hereditary from her family line which she was bred from. The doctor took blood and checked her out, and then sent us on our way home. 

I know I felt better, but I wanted Kristin to feel better. I knew after speaking to a few more people, whether it be from work or anyone else she might relay to the morning's events, she will slowly subside and relax. She didn't want to leave Sadie, and I honestly didn't want to leave her or Kristin, so am doing as much work from home until I need to go to the school.

I was beyond proud of Kristin. People don't realize, and I was once one of them, that having a dog or any kind of pet is like having another child. It IS having a child. They are a living thing that is part of your family. You care for them, you love them, you take care of them, you invest in them. If your son or daughter had a seizure, you'd flip out and worry. Same thing with your pets. When you have a pet, you are also a parent. And let me tell you this: Kristin Barrett is a wonderful mother.

It was like watching any other mother worry for their child, and I wanted to tear up and cry with her, but knew that's not what she needed. Her father did the yelling and worrying that she needed for that moment and I kept my composure too. But Kristin did all the right things and did right for her Sadie. Proud. I am oh so proud of the way she took care of her daughter. And when she does have "human" children one day, I know she will make an excellent mother, because she already is.

Yours in service,
ANDREW TRENTO

No comments:

Post a Comment