Friday, September 30, 2011

Mission Shane Dawson Part 1

(Shane Dawson and me in NYC)
(Yup, he's a hugger, LOL)

When times were tough and nothing could get my mind of the things going on in my life, the only thing that made me laugh or smile was watching a Shane Dawson video on Youtube. Shane has an awesome story of his own of how he became a partner with Youtube, aspiring actor and film maker, and through his videos we got to know the real Shane also. From the time he got fired from Jenny Craig, to making 180 videos, to four different moves, his grandma dying, the accumulation of his pets, and his brother's CD release.

I made it a goal to meet Shane Dawson. I did not know how, I just knew I would. And I wanted to take it a step further from that! I wanted him to come to my school and do one of his videos at my center! Maybe a Karate Kid spoof? So when he posted a video about how he was going to see his friend's movie Archie's Final Project which was an intense movie in itself, I heard the bells of opportunity.

I wasn't going to let this pass me up. So I bought my ticket online for the movie, looked up the bus schedule to the city from the school, ended my cardio class a little earlier to make it, and Mission Shane Dawson commenced. (Insert Mission Impossible theme song HERE).

Bus was ON TIME. Awesome. I knew EXACTLY where the theatre was. I also checked with his agent to arrange a possible meet with Shane. He assured me he would be there along with his brother Jared and two actors from Archie's Final Project. I met a group of people waiting outside of the theatre who have been waiting since 6 they said and NO sign of Shane. I began feeling doubtful. I kind of tagged along and we walked outside, checked the Applebees next door, we saw nothing. Finally I decided to go to the actually theatre the movie would take place in. I met two film students from the the NY Film Academy who were ever so pleasant. And then, there he was. Shane Dawson himself!

I don't get to meet many celebrities, and Shane Dawson is quite the celebrity. MANY people came to see him, they even held the movie up while he was there. When I got my chance to meet with him he gave me a hug. He is a little taller than me, and he looks EXACTLY how he is in his videos. I told him about my school and the kids I taught and how they all love him and he was like "Aaaawwww." He was very kind, and really down to earth, but a little shy at the same time, which is kind of hard to imagine if you see any of his videos.

SO I had to bring up the dream of him possibly visiting my school, or go the step further of doing a video at TMAFC. He obviously did not come to the city to see ME, but it never hurts to ask and put the idea out there. He cannot visit TMAFC tomorrow because he, his brother Jared, and his friends from Archie had made previous engagements. Since he knew I was from New Jersey, he asked me if I have ever been to Hoboken and asked me about this particular bakery. I, in fact, knew exactly which bakery he was talking about since my friend bar tends only a block away. I told him it's worth the drive. Then the ideas of how he can come to New Jersey at a later time to make a video began to spark.

I got the chance to talk to his brother Jared who is beyond proud of his brother. He was very enthusiastic of the idea of maybe spending a weekend or longer in a few months with his brother for a video and vacation time. When I explained to Jared the story of MY dream of opening up a school and how I try to lead my students by example and meeting Shane and having him do this video was a way of getting them to follow their dreams, well Jared was even more enthusiastic. Mission Shane Dawson Part 2 will now be in session. All good things take proper planning though. Jared and I WILL make it happen!

Finally, after seeing the movie six times, Shane and Jared left with the actors after what looked like a long day for the two of them. Shane told me how he was at the Starbucks across the street eating Splenda to stay awake. (Don't worry, that is normal for him for anyone who watches his videos.) I was absolutely thrilled ot have finally met Shane Dawson, and the dream is not yet done! Only part one! Part two is in the making! I am kind of glad there was no visit today, because the bigger and better part of the dream can come true and will be a lot more worthwhile. But it just goes to show you! When you truly put that goal out there, and it becomes your dominant thought, you'd be surprised of how you can attract all you need for it to come true, as long as you are persistent and never EVER give it up!

Yours in service,
ANDREW TRENTO

No comments:

Post a Comment