Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Day with the Mentor

(Master DeJesus's American Taekwondo School in Rockaway, NJ)

(Master Samuel DeJesus receiving his 4th Degree Black Belt June 27, 2009)

Last Thursday, I went to visit Master Samuel DeJesus at his school in Rockaway, NJ. It's about 33 minutes away from my school in Rochelle Park. I have never been to Master DeJesus's school before, but I always saw pictures on Facebook and have had an old business card of his when I met him.

We met at our Black Belt test at Fastkix Taekwondo in Spotswood, NJ. I was testing for my 3rd Degree, Master DeJesus was testing for 4th Degree. Right off the bat, I truly admired Master DeJesus. We appreciated each other's forms, we sparred together, I attacked him for his self-defenses which I got knocked around (and loved every minute of it!), and we watched each other perform our breaks. It was also the first time I ever saw the martial arts Krav Maga, or Haganah. When I find out the difference, I will let you know! (Forgive my ignorance!)

I was in awe because you felt that warmness about Master DeJesus right away. He was lighthearted (as the best warriors usually are), humble, and yet showed great physical ability and stamina. I was also inspired because at the time he was going for 4th Degree, a goal that I have had since I was a young kid. Seeing someone else achieve it was awesome to witness!

We reconnected recently, I found him on Facebook and we would talk here and there, and still he continued to inspire me. One day he wrote on his Facebook page about how he allowed ego to get the best of him one day, and I was so humbled and comforted by this. I actually wrote an entire blog post about it here. Only a true master would admit when ego interferes, and that is ultimate humility in my eyes. Master DeJesus is the embodiment of what a master should be, in my eyes. 

I was very excited to visit his school, also because I had asked him to visit mine that following Saturday for Kristin Barrett's test as a judge. I parked in front and I walked in and I was so impressed. His studio is about two of mine, plus he had a reception area and office space in the back. Mirrors on the right hand side, weights and dumbbells, equipment hung up, posters paying tribute to the different arts, a heavy duty pull up bar (it reminded me of Charlene), and right dead center was his logo on the wall.

I do not think Master DeJesus realizes how motivating it is for me to see his school. He moved from his original location not too long after six years, and for ME as a brand new school owner starting my second year, it gives me the motivation that maybe one day I too can have a school location just like this! Hi dojang was, and forgive the term as you know how I feel about using it: PERFECT.

We sat for many hours and Master DeJesus was more than welcoming. He welcomed me to his center with open arms, like a singer allowing another on the stage so graciously.  He gave me a tour of his center, shared with me some of the new programs he was producing, ideas he was toying with about changing his curriculum, what his day is like training, how his family is so supportive and helps with the school, how he got into martial arts and different disciplines, how he got involved in the business aspect of martial arts, the beginning of his school, gave me some advice, and of course we talked lengthily about Ms Barrett.
I had such a great time and enjoying myself in the company of Master DeJesus, that I almost was late to get back to my own school! You see, I left at 3:30 and my first class is at 4 and it takes 33 minutes to get back! But it was so worth it! It was a great pleasure to see Master DeJesus at his own home, and getting to know him even more. 

I am hoping that Master DeJesus can help me with some of my goals in self-defense. Another thing I absolutely love about him is he is always a student also, as I tell my students about me. We are always students and can always learn something new. Some Sundays, Master DeJesus does Hapkido, a Korean art that I have always wanted to go into greater depth with. Maybe even try out Krav Maga! I still remember my fascination at our test watching him and being thrown around. How could someone with such humility perform with such great intensity? To exhibit that inner calm is truly key as a martial artist.

Humility. That is Master DeJesus for me. Where Charlene is momentum and Lisa is intensity, Master DeJesus represents one of the core values a master should obtain and uphold: humility. 

Yours in service,
ANDREW TRENTO

No comments:

Post a Comment